A Cook County judge has sentenced a Brookfield man to four years in prison after the 24-year-old pleaded guilty to sexually abusing two teenage girls.

Samuel C. Morales entered his plea before Judge Gregory Ginex at the Maybrook courthouse on Aug. 25. He had been held at Cook County Jail since his arrest in Brookfield in August 2014.

He is now being held at Stateville Correctional Center, and will remain there until at least Aug. 25, 2017, when he is eligible for parole.

Morales sexually abused two girls, age 13 and 14, between 2012 and 2014 in the basement of a Brookfield home, where he was living at the time. The victims told police they initially were afraid to report the incidents. 

However, another person living in the same house contacted police in 2014 after becoming suspicious that Morales was abusing a 14-year-old girl who lived there. In a subsequent interview, that victim revealed some of her friends, also minors, had sex with Morales, including a 13-year-old LaGrange Park girl.

According to information on the Illinois Department of Corrections website, Morales was convicted in 2013 of possession of a stolen vehicle, an offense for which he received a sentence of six years.

It’s unclear, however, how much time he actually served for that offense. Prison records indicate the sentence was discharged. Morales was arrested for the vehicle theft offense in late January 2013. He was arrested for the sexual abuse incidents in August 2014.

Morales is also now on file as a sexual predator in the state of Illinois’ online sex offender database.


Brookfield police responded to the 4100 block of Maple Avenue on Aug. 31 about 9:40 p.m. after a resident called to report an unknown subject trying to gain access to a family member’s vehicle.

When the resident called out to the subject, he fled on foot and was last seen running northbound on Arthur Avenue. Nothing appeared to be missing from the vehicle.

A resident of the 9000 block of Shields Avenue, Brookfield, called police on Sept. 1 after learning her garage had been burglarized sometime between 10:30 a.m. and 12:15 p.m. that day.

According to the police report, it appeared someone used a tool to pry open the overhead garage door, which had been secured by the homeowner that morning. Nothing of value appeared to be missing from the garage.

A resident of the 3600 block of Forest Avenue, Brookfield, reported on Sept. 1 at 7:26 p.m. that a neighbor informed him the overhead door of his garage was open.

When he went to investigate, the homeowner also observed that the driver’s side door and trunk of the vehicle parked inside the garage were open. Nothing appeared to be missing from the garage or vehicle. Police reported no signs for forced entry. 

Man wanted for burglary arrested

Police, responding to a call regarding an abandoned vehicle near the intersection of Harrison and Henrietta avenues in Brookfield on Sept. 1, ended up taking a 20-year-old Delavan, Wisconsin, man into custody after learning there was an active warrant for his arrest in McHenry County for burglary.

When police arrived at the location of the vehicle, they reported finding two men sleeping inside, the 20-year-old and a 55-year-old man, also of Delavan. The older man was sent on his way by police.

The younger man was placed in a cell to await being picked up by McHenry County Sheriff’s Police.

Bike stolen from train station

A 40-year-old Riverside man contacted police on Aug. 29 to report that his gray and black Trek bicycle, which had been locked to a railing on the north side of the downtown Riverside train platform, was missing.

The victim said he locked his bike at 5 a.m. When he returned at 5 p.m., the bike and the heavy-gauge Masterlock cord lock used to secure the bike to the railing were gone.

Look what I found

A 34-year-old Brookfield man digging up a bush in his front yard in the 4500 block of Madison Avenue on Aug. 28 was surprised to turn up what looked to be a handgun, which had been buried there. 

The gun was turned over to police who cleaned it and determined it was a Crosman .22-caliber bolt-action pellet pistol. The gun was properly disposed of, according to the report.

These items were obtained from police reports filed by the Riverside, North Riverside and Brookfield police departments, Aug. 28-Sept. 2, and represent a portion of the incidents to which police responded. Unless otherwise indicated, anybody named in these reports has only been charged with a crime. These cases have not been adjudicated.

—Compiled by Bob Uphues