Get into Gauguin
The Art Institute of Chicago currently is hosting a special traveling exhibition of artwork by famed post-Impressionist Paul Gauguin, and you can get a taste of what to expect at “The Art of Paul Gauguin: An Exhibition Preview” by art historian Jeff Mishur on Thursday, July 20 at 7 p.m. in the Great Room of the Riverside Public Library, 1 Burling Road.
Mishur will discuss Gauguin’s transition from collector of Impressionist works to an innovative, influential artist. The program is jointly sponsored with John Keefe.
Riverside celebrates summer with Riverfest
The Riverside Chamber of Commerce hosts its Third Annual Riverfest in the Park on Saturday, July 22 from 3 to 10:30 p.m. in downtown Riverside.
The event takes place in and around Centennial Park, home of the historic water tower, at Longcommon and Forest avenues and includes live music, food vendors serving “taste menus,” beverages, raffles and a family play with an obstacle course, a train ride and more.
Get your Irish up
The Brookfield Recreation Department continues its outdoor concert series on Friday, July 21 at 7 p.m. with a special night of Irish music by The Dooley Brothers.
The Dooleys, a Chicago favorite for decades, will feature rousing renditions of Irish songs, familiar Irish ballads and a whole lot more. Brothers Jim (guitar, vocals) and Mike (bass, vocals), a longtime Brookfield resident, are joined by their sons, who have recently begun playing with the band.
They’ll be joined by their friends Jimmy Moore (tin whistle, banjo, guitar) and drummer Ed Breckenfeld.
Concerts are at the band shell in Kiwanis Park, Arden and Brookfield avenues. In case of inclement weather, the concert will be held next door at the Brookfield Village Hall, 8820 Brookfield Ave. Free.
Get this party started!
North Riverside Parks and Recreation rolls out a rock ‘n’ dance party on Thursday, July 20 at 7 p.m. with an appearance by the band HiFi Superstar at the gazebo at the Village Commons, 2401 Desplaines Ave.
The Billboard and MTV Award-winning band “combines party dance rock covers with a sprinkle of fresh originals.”
Concession specials include 50-cent popcorn and Superstar Jell-O Shooters for adults. Free.
• Brookfield Public Library, 3609 Grand Blvd., hosts an exhibition of work by artist Jason Michael West through the month of August. For more information visit www.brookfieldlibrary.info.
The library also hosts Seven Modern Wonders of the World on July 20 at 7 p.m. by photojournalist and travel columnist Bill Helmuth; Mindful Art, where you can channel your inner yogi through yoga art, meditative designs and other activities on July 24 at 5:30 p.m.; and Before You Call the Handyman on July 26 at 7 p.m., where Daniel Findley discusses common home repair fixes. To register for any of these events call 708-485-6917 or visit www.brookfieldlibrary.info.
• The Comboni Mission Center, 1615 E. 31st St. in LaGrange Park, hosts a Mass, mission evening and celebration of the 50th anniversary of Fr. David Baltz’s ordination on July 21 at 6 p.m. Fr. Baltz will share stories of his time in Uganda. Feel free to bring a dish or beverages to share.
• The Brookfield Farmers Market continues on June 17 from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the west parking lot of the village hall, 8820 Brookfield Ave. The market will be held rain or shine every Saturday morning through Oct. 14.
• The Riverside Farmers Market continues on Wednesday, June 21 from 2:30 to 7 p.m. in Centennial Park at Longcommon Road and Forest Avenue. The market runs every Wednesday afternoon/evening through Oct. 11.
• Riverside Arts Center, 32 E. Quincy St., hosts its annual RAC Members Exhibition and RAC Kids Show through Aug. 5. Gallery hours are Tuesday through Saturday from 1 to 5 p.m.
• Riverside Public Library, 1 Burling Road, hosts “Keep Calm and Color” for grownups on July 25 at 7 p.m. in the Public Meeting Room. Coloring pages, pencils, pens and crayons will be provided, but feel free to bring your own.
• North Riverside Public Library, 2400 Desplaines Ave., hosts an Adult Coloring Club on July 25 at 6:30 p.m. Coloring pages and pencils provided, but feel free to bring your own. Drop-in only.
Also, for those registered in its Summer Reading Program: Stories and Play (toddlers thru 5), July 20, 10:30 a.m.; Read Along with Ms. Nikki (grades 2-4), July 20, 3:30 p.m.; Junior Builders (DIY Train Engineer’s Hat/3-6 with adult), July 25, 10:30 a.m.; Pizza and Games Night (1st grade+), July 24, 6 p.m.; Just Craftin’ Around (Decorate a Piggy Bank) 6th-12th grade), July 25, 6 to 8 p.m.
• The Brookfield Elks Lodge, 9022 31st St., hosts bingo every Monday night. Doors open at 5 p.m. and games start at 7 p.m. minimum cash payout of $2,275 a night, plus pull tabs, lightning, tic-tac and raffles.