A very merry Field’s Christmas
Remember Aunt Holly and Uncle Mistletoe? Did you get your photo taken with Santa in Cozy Cloud Cottage?
You can relive those memories or experience them for the first time at6 Remembering Marshall Field’s and Christmas in the Great Room of the Riversid Public Library, 1 Burling Road, on Wednesday, Dec. 20 at 7 p.m.
Leslie Goddard will trace the store’s traditions, from the Walnut Room Christmas tree to the toy department to catalogs. Registration required by calling 708-442-6366, emailing to email@example.com or online at www.riversidelibrary.org/events.html.
Faux Fab Four fundraiser
American English, a Beatles tribute band favorite, will perform on Friday, Dec. 15 at 8 p.m. at the Theatre of Western Springs, 4384 Hampton Ave. The concert is a holiday fundraiser for the theater.
Tickets are $40 ($35 TWS subscribers). Call the box office at 708-246-3380 or buy them online at www.theatrewesternsprings.com.
An old-time radio Christmas
The Riverside Township Radio Players present their annual holiday show on Friday, Dec. 15 at 7:30 p.m. in the auditorium of the Riverside Township Hall, 27 Riverside Road in Riverside.
The troupe will recreate “A Contemporary Christmas Carol” from Richard Diamond, Private Detective and “Letter from Cynthia” from The Whistler. For more information visit www.riversidetownshipradioplayers.com.
Brookfield Chamber holiday soiree
The public is invited to attend the Brookfield Chamber of Commerce Holiday Party on Thursday, Dec. 14 from 5:30 to 9 p.m. at Irish Times, 8869 Burlington Ave. in Brookfield.
Enjoy cocktails at the cash bar and free appetizers and take part in a silent auction that benefits the chamber’s scholarship program at Riverside-Brookfield and Lyons Township high schools.
For more information visit the chamber’s Facebook page.
Jazz up your holidays
The Brookfield Jazz Society hosts its annual holiday party, which is open to the public, with a concert by Petra van Nuis and her Recession 7 in the lower-level Jazz Room of Sawa’s Old Warsaw, 9200 W. Cermak Road in Broadview, on Dec. 14.
Music begins at 7:15 p.m. sharp. The minimum band donation is $10.
• St. Louise de Marillac Church, 30th Street and Raymond Avenue in LaGrange Park, hosts its 4th Annual Advent Lessons and Carols, featuring the parish’s music ministry and guests on Dec. 16 at 7:30 p.m. All are welcome.
• The Brookfield Windy City travel baseball team is collecting winter outerwear — hats, gloves, coats, boots, scarves and hoodies — for those in need. Donations will benefit the Humble Hearts organization. Drop off items by Dec. 21 at 3712 Forest Ave. in Brookfield. Any donations after Dec. 21 will be delivered to Humble Hearts on Jan. 10.
• The Lyons Township High School Sci-Fi Club hosts Rebel Force Radio with an event that coincides with the opening night of Star Wars: The Last Jedi. The event, which is open to the public, is on Dec. 14 from 3:15 to 5 p.m. in Room 137 at the North Campus, 100 S. Brainard Ave. in LaGrange.
• LaGrange Bible Church, 850 S. 7th Ave., invites the public to a Christmas Concert on Dec. 17 at 9 a.m. The King’s Choral will present “Night of the Father’s Love: The Awe and Mystery of God with Us.” Free.
• Riverside Arts Center, 32 E. Quincy St., presents the work of artist Natalie Jacobson in “Seeing Things: The difference between you and me” in the Freeark Gallery of Art through Jan. 13, 2018. Free. Gallery hours Tuesday thru Saturday (except major holidays) from 1 to 5 p.m. www.riversideartscenter.com.
• Brookfield Zoo, 3300 Golf Road in Brookfield, continues its Holiday Magic weekends on Dec. 16-17 and the week of Dec. 26-31. The zoo is open from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. each day of the event, with lights festivities beginning at 4 p.m. Each night features live music and entertainment, ice carving demonstrations, costumed characters, a model train display, pictures with Santa and Mrs. Claus and more. Regular admission and parking rates apply. www.CZS.org/HolidayMagic or 708-688-8000.
• Brookfield Public Library, 3609 Grand Blvd., hosts a Self-Publishing Class on Dec. 14 at 7 p.m. Frank Murray, head of reference and electronic services will help you learn how to turn typed pages into a finished e-book. Free. To register, call 708-485-6917 or visit www.brookfieldlibrary.info.
• Riverside Public Library, 1 Burling Road, hosts DIY Holiday Ornaments all day on Dec. 16 at 6:30 p.m. in the Great Room. Stop by the craft table to make a fragrant orange pomander ball, fuzzy heart ornament and paint-chip holiday card.
• North Riverside Public Library, 2400 Desplaines Ave., presents Also at the library this week: Messy Mornings for Munchkins (ages 2+), Dec. 19 at 10:30 a.m.; Lapsit Storytime (babies and toddlers with adult), Dec. 14 at 10:30 a.m.; RBHS Finals Survival Kits from Dec. 18-20; Wii Play Games and Watch Movies (6th-12th grades) on Dec. 16 from 1-3 p.m. Call 708-447-0869 for more info.
The library also presents “The Essential Christmas Carol” on Dec. 13 at 6:30 p.m. Professional storyteller William Pack performs a reading of A Christmas Carol and will also recreate the kind of magic lantern slide show popular during Charles Dickens’ lifetime. To sign up call 708-447-0869 or visit www.northriversidelibrary.org/events.