A 17-year-old Chicago boy arrested by Riverside police on July 16 in the 3400 block of Harlem Avenue for driving a dirt bike without a license, was detained and handed over to Cook County juvenile authorities after police learned he was wanted on a warrant for failing to appear in court in connection with a 2016 carjacking in Oak Park.

Police observed the teenager riding a dirt bike in the parking lanes adjacent to the Burlington Northern-Santa Fe Railroad grade crossing and conducted a traffic stop on the vehicle, which had no registration.

The teen reportedly tried to flee on foot but was captured by police. He had no valid driver’s license and had an active felony warrant for failing to appear in court on the carjacking case.

Four people – two juveniles and two men from Chicago – were arrested in the April 7, 2016 carjacking, which took place in an Oak Park alley. The four offenders allegedly approached a 71-year-old Oak Park man in his garage as he was cleaning his car.

The teenager arrested in Riverside was one of the two juveniles involved in the carjacking, according to police. 

Riverside Police Chief Thomas Weitzel said in a press release that the four individuals arrested in that 2016 carjacking were found to be in possession of a .44-caliber Ruger revolver, and 9 mm Ruger semiautomatic handgun with a 20-round extended magazine.

Brookfield vehicle break-ins

Brookfield police reported at least seven vehicle break-ins last week on the north end of the village overnight on July 18-19, with one of the incidents caught on a private surveillance camera.

A resident of the 3300 block of Prairie Avenue called police a few days after the break-ins, on July 22, to report that his camera had caught two people entering an unlocked vehicle that was parked behind his home the night of July 18-19.

According to the police report, two men can be seen walking through the alley at about 12:35 a.m. on July 19. They walk up to the victim’s car, which was unlocked and parked behind the garage in the alley, searching the interior and the trunk before leaving it empty-handed.

The two then can be seen going up to another vehicle parked in the alley, but walking away from it when they discover the doors to be locked.

On the morning of July 19, police responded to the area after residents reported that two unlocked cars had been broken into overnight in the 3200 block of Oak Avenue and three had been entered in the 3100 block of Sunnyside.

The offenders typically rummaged through glove boxes and center consoles, taking loose change. They also allegedly entered an open garage in the 8900 block of 31st Street, removing beer cans and wine stored in a refrigerator.

They also entered an unlocked vehicle in the garage, removing loose change, a backpack and a makeup pouch. 

Pizzeria burglarized

North Riverside police responded to Al’s Pizzeria, 9253 Cermak Road, on July 14 at about 3:20 a.m. after a bread delivery driver called to report that the back door to the business was open and that a front window was broken.

According to police, the window had been broken by a brick patio block taken from a residence on 19th Avenue. The cash register drawer was open, with only loose change left behind.

Security video reportedly showed a man wearing a baseball hat, black hoodie, blue jeans, black shoes and black gloves break the window and enter the business at 3:10 a.m. He takes all the cash out of one register and rips another off the counter before fleeing through the rear door.

Work van stolen

A resident of the 2500 block of Forest Avenue, North Riverside, called police on the morning of July 13 to report that his white 2011 Ford Econoline 250 work van, which had been parked in his driveway, was stolen overnight.

In addition to the vehicle, there were about $12,000 in tools inside, half of it belonging to the company the victim worked for. Using GPS, police were able to track the van to the 4200 block of W. 13th St. in Chicago, where it was recovered. The rear door lock to the vehicle was missing and the ignition was damaged. However, the tools appeared to be missing. 

Car stolen from dealer lot

North Riverside police responded to Zeigler Ford, 2100 Harlem Ave. in July 13 at about 4:10 p.m. after being advised that a man had smashed out the passenger side window of a white BMW, which was displayed for sale on the lot, got in and fled north on Harlem Avenue.

According to the police report, the offender arrived at the dealership in a dark-colored Buick, which he exited just before approaching the BMW. It’s unclear how the offender started the BMW so quickly, according to the police report.

Thousands stolen from bank account

A 62-year-old Brookfield went to police on July 20 to report that a family member’s bank account appeared to have been hacked and more than $25,000 had been withdrawn from it, cleaning out the account.

On July 17, the victim went to pay bills online and observed the balance to be low. She learned at that time that there had been nine withdrawals made since July 6, amounting to about $8,700. On July 20, she checked the account again, only to find the entire account’s balance had been withdrawn. 

Fraud suspect hit with weapons charge

Riverside police charged Efrain Guerrero, 39, of Riverside, with felony deceptive practice and two weapons offenses after being arrested while getting into a taxi in the 100 block of East Burlington Street on July 14 at 4:17 p.m.

Riverside police had been investigating Guerrero for fraud since March, when he allegedly wrote a fraudulent check to pay for groceries at Riverside Foods. After Guerrero was arrested, the taxi driver went to police to turn over an unloaded handgun left in the backseat of his vehicle.

Guerrero reportedly told police he found the gun, but that it wasn’t his. He was charged with unlawful use of a weapon by a felon and for possessing the gun without ID.

TV stolen from motel

Brookfield police responded to the Colony Motel, 9232 Ogden Ave., after the owner called to report that a Hitachi 43-inch flat-panel TV was stolen from one of the rooms on the afternoon of July 21.

According to police, the man who rented the room incompletely and illegibly filled out a registration card for the room at about 10:10 a.m. He had arrived in a Jeep with other passengers. However, he left the motel a couple of hours before the theft, never to return.

Surveillance cameras, meanwhile, show a man exiting the room at about 2:50 p.m. He gets into a Jeep and moves it to the 4000 block of Madison Avenue, which faces a side window of the room.

A few minutes later, a TV can be seen coming through the side window. The man earlier seen driving the Jeep, takes the TV and carries it to the vehicle. Two other people are seen leaving the room around the same time.

The motel owner called police after an employee who went to clean the room found the TV missing.

Equipment stolen from repair shop

The owner of Jeff’s Auto, 20 E. Quincy St. in Riverside, contacted police on July 16 to report that a IscanII diagnostic scanner he left outside on his lot a week earlier was missing. The scanner was valued at more than $8,500, according to the police report.

Lawn equipment stolen

The owner of a lawn maintenance firm called Brookfield police on July 20 at about 6:50 p.m. to report that while he and an employee were doing work in the 4200 block of Grove Avenue, Brookfield, someone stole two pieces of equipment valued at more than $700 from a storage trailer.

The items reported stolen were an organce Echo PAS 280 Powerhead Line with attached trimmer and an orange Echo PAS 225 weed trimmer. 


Brookfield police charged a 34-year-old Chicago woman with drunken driving after receiving a call that a woman was passed out in a gray Infiniti at Ogden Avenue and DuBois Boulevard on July 11 at 2:44 p.m.

Police reported that the vehicle was parked facing southwest on the south sidewalk (the adjacent lanes of traffic on Ogden Avenue head eastbound). Police reported that the vehicle’s front passenger tire was shredded and that the car was just three feet from the entrance of 9774 Ogden Ave.

Paramedics woke up the driver, who told them she believed she was in Elmhurst. Paramedics took the woman to LaGrange Memorial Hospital for treatment. Police reported finding an open bottle of white wine, with about two ounces of wine left in it, inside the vehicle.

In addition to DUI, the woman was cited for a variety of traffic offenses.

North Riverside police charged an Addison man with driving under the influence of alcohol on July 14 at about 4:30 a.m. after a police officer reported seeing a vehicle with its hazard lights on parked on the Des Plaines River bridge on Cermak Road.

The officer approached the passenger side of the vehicle and reported seeing two open beer bottles, and smelling a strong odor of alcohol. The driver reportedly told the officer he was lost and was trying to use his GPS unit to get directions home.

The driver reportedly failed sobriety tests and was arrested for drunken driving. His blood-alcohol content, according to the police report was .188, which is more than twice the legal limit of .08.

These items were obtained from police reports filed by the Riverside, North Riverside and Brookfield police departments, July 11 and July 22, and represent a portion of the incidents to which police responded. Unless otherwise indicated, anybody named in these reports has only been charged with a crime. These cases have not been adjudicated.

— Compiled by Bob Uphues and Tim Inklebarger

One reply on “Riverside arrests teen wanted on carjacking warrant | Police reports, July 11-22”