A firefighter stationed by the Barrypoint Bridge during the Scuff Gross Memorial Regatta on the morning of July 28 reportedly found a Ruger .40-caliber handgun submerged but clearly visible in shallow water near the north bank of the Des Plaines River, according to Riverside police.

Police Chief Thomas Weitzel said the handgun, which was minus a magazine, was in very good condition and likely had not been in the water for a long time. The handgun was turned over to police who are working with the ATF to trace the serial number in order to find its most recent owner.

Weitzel said the gun will also be turned over to the Illinois State Police Crime Lab for test firing to see if the firearm can be connected to any unsolved cases.

Stolen vehicle recovered

A 2017 Chevrolet Suburban stolen from a residence in the 100 block of Longcommon Road, Riverside, during the overnight hours of July 11-12 was recovered on July 28 at 7:30 p.m. in the 200 block of East 58th Street in Chicago.

According to police, the vehicle was stolen during a spree of break-ins on July 11-12 at six addresses in the 100 blocks of Longcommon, Nuttall and Bartram roads. Police said the offenders loaded up the stolen Chevy with proceeds from the other break-ins before leaving the area.

At the time the SUV was found, it bore the license plates of another stolen vehicle, police said. Chicago investigators searched the Chevy’s VIN number to discover it had been stolen out of Riverside.

According to police, the vehicle was found in good condition, with no signs of forced entry or damage to the steering column or ignition. Police also reported finding three sets of keys belonging to other vehicles, which police believe were also stolen. 

Graffiti spree in west central Brookfield

Brookfield police reported on the morning of July 29 that during the overnight hours, someone had tagged at least five overhead garage doors, one house, one pickup truck and several street signs with gang graffiti.

The graffiti was found on garage doors in the 9400 blocks of Jackson, Henrietta and Monroe avenues. A vacant home in the 9400 block of Henrietta Avenue had its boarded up front door and east façade tagged.

Police said several street signs were tagged along Cleveland Avenue between Jackson and Henrietta avenues. Nearly all of the incidents involved someone using blue spray paint.

Purse snatched from car

Riverside police continue to search for two men who apparently followed a Riverside woman to her home in the 100 block of East Burlington Street, where one of the men got out of a vehicle and stole a purse from the woman’s unattended vehicle on July 27 at about noon.

The offender then ran westbound to the center of town where he met up with his accomplice who was waiting in the getaway vehicle, which drove off westbound.

According to the police report, the victim had just visited a medical cannabis dispensary in Chicago and that her purse contained $250 worth of medical cannabis when it was stolen.

The victim was able to track the offender’s path by pinging a cellphone in the purse, but the offender later dumped the phone, which was found by Riverside recreation staff near the downtown train station.

The offender was described as a black male with hair in dreads or cornrows, wearing a red shirt with a skull on it and cargo pants. The getaway vehicle was described only as a small, dark-colored car.

Police investigate robbery call

Brookfield police continue to investigate an apparent phony robbery report that was phoned in while police were in the middle of a traffic stop where police reported detecting the odor of cannabis on July 25 at about 8:05 p.m.

While police were questioning the driver during the traffic stop at Maple Avenue and the Veterans Circle – there were three other males inside the vehicle, all with cellphones in their hands — they received word that someone had witnessed an armed robbery on Southview Avenue just west of Maple Avenue.

The caller, who wanted to remain anonymous, told the dispatcher that as he was crossing the tracks northbound on Maple Avenue there was a man being robbed at gunpoint.

Getting word of the apparent robbery, the officers at the traffic stop terminated that investigation and arrived at Maple and Southview within a minute. They could find no sign of a robbery victim or offender.

Police dispatchers later reported that the man who called in the robbery was in Berwyn at the time of that call.

These items were obtained from police reports filed by the Riverside, North Riverside and Brookfield police departments, July 18 and July 29, and represent a portion of the incidents to which police responded. Unless otherwise indicated, anybody named in these reports has only been charged with a crime. These cases have not been adjudicated.

— Compiled by Bob Uphues