Riverside police charged a 42-year-old North Riverside man with driving under the influence of drugs and alcohol and cited him for several traffic infractions after an officer on patrol observed him sitting in a 2005 Chevy with three tires and one shattered wheel rim, which was stopped in the middle of traffic on 31st Street just east of First Avenue on Oct. 18 at about 12:20 a.m.

When the officer asked why his vehicle was sitting there, the driver reportedly told him that he’d run out of gas and was trying to push the car home. The driver couldn’t explain how the vehicle was missing one tire, according to police.

The driver took field sobriety tests for both alcohol and drug impairment, said police, and he reportedly admitted to taking clonazepam, an anti-anxiety medication that’s listed as a controlled substance, prior to drinking alcohol.

“I’m not really drunk, but I’m sure on benzos,” the driver reportedly told police, referencing the street term for clonazepam.

In addition to three counts of DUI, the driver was cited for improper parking on a roadway, having no proof of vehicle insurance and having a vehicle with an unsafe tire.

“This arrest is a clear example of the shift occurring in Cook County and throughout the United States when it comes to impaired driving,” said Police Chief Thomas Weitzel in a press release. “Local police are running across more drugged drivers than ever.”

Brookfield police charged a 45-year-old Berwyn man with DUI after he reportedly drove his vehicle into two parked cars in the 3500 block of Sunnyside Avenue on Oct. 21 at about 2:20 a.m.

A portable breath test administered at the scene reportedly showed his blood-alcohol content to be .244, or more than three times the legal limit of .08. He was also cited for transporting open alcohol, no proof of insurance and failure to reduce speed to avoid an accident. 

Caught in the act

Brookfield police located two people believed to have been connected to the burglary of a vehicle in the 3300 block of Arthur Avenue on Oct. 17 at about 10:30 p.m., but were unable to charge either because a witness could not positively identify them.

The victim called police after seeing someone enter his vehicle, which was parked on the street, and confronting the offender while he was still inside the car. The offender had rifled through the center console and reportedly took a pack of cigarettes, which he dropped on the ground while getting out of the car.

As the victim began trying to pat down the offender for other items, a teenage girl began to yell at the offender, “Let’s go!” The two fled in a silver vehicle and the victim called in a license plate number.

About 10 minutes later, police located a silver vehicle with a license plate number that closely matched the one given by the victim parked behind the garage of a home in the 3100 block of Vernon Avenue.

A male and female closely matching the description given to police were inside the vehicle. The two were detained while the victim was brought over to identify the two, but he could not do so with total certainty.

Police released the male but detained the female, a juvenile, for violating curfew. Police interviewed the girl in the presence of her mother before allowing the girl to leave without any charges being filed. 

Repo man kept at bay

A man sent to repossess a vehicle in Brookfield on Oct. 19 at about 5:30 a.m. found himself stymied after the woman who owned the vehicle ran out of the house and jumped inside of it – along with her two children and two dogs.

The tow truck driver told police that he arrived at the residence on the village’s south end and had hooked the vehicle, lifted it up and was preparing to leave when the woman jumped into the vehicle to prevent him from leaving.

When police arrived, the woman was sitting in the driver’s seat of the car, accompanied by her kids and dogs. The woman told police she was current on her payments and was trying to contact the bank to resolve the issue. She also said she wasn’t leaving the vehicle under any circumstances.

Police explained to the repossession company employee that the dispute was a civil matter and that they weren’t there to aid in the repossession. Police did advise that having children inside a car that was lifted off the ground was dangerous, so the tow truck driver lowered the car and unhooked it. He then left the scene, saying he’d come back later.

The woman said she was staying in the car at least until the bank opened.

These items were obtained from police reports filed by the Riverside, North Riverside and Brookfield police departments, Oct. 15-21, and represent a portion of the incidents to which police responded. Unless otherwise indicated, anybody named in these reports has only been charged with a crime. These cases have not been adjudicated.

— Compiled by Bob Uphues