A 27-year-old Chicago man faces felony weapons and property damage charges after he allegedly was found in possession of a loaded handgun with its serial number scratched off after he was arrested for smashing the windows of four vehicles parked in the 100 and 200 blocks of East Quincy Street in late May.

Police responded to the area on May 28 just after midnight after a caller dialed 911 to report a man smashing the windows of cars parked in the rear of properties long the railroad tracks.

An officer responding to the scene located the offender, identified as Nicholas J. Stiso, standing in the rear of a property in the 100 block of East Quincy Street and screaming at the officer at the top of his lungs.

Police shut down train traffic until Stiso, who appeared highly intoxicated and told police he was armed, surrendered and was taken into custody. According to police, Stiso was carrying a fully loaded .38-caliber handgun, with a round chambered. The gun’s serial number had been defaced, police said, rendering it illegible.

While Stiso did have a valid Firearm Owner’s ID, said police, he did not have a concealed-carry card and it is against the law to carry a firearm while under the influence of alcohol or drugs.

Paramedics transported Stiso to MacNeal Hospital for observation. He was released back into police custody on June 6.

The Cook County State’s Attorney’s Office charged Stiso with aggravated unlawful use of a weapon, felony defacing a firearm serial number and two counts of criminal damage to property.

Police Chief Thomas Weitzel said detectives were working with Illinois State Police to recover the serial number to trace the gun back to its owner or determine if the gun was stolen. The gun is also being tested to see if the ballistics match a weapon used in any unsolved crime.

At the time of the Riverside incident, according to police, Stiso was free on bond for a weapons charge in Berwyn in April.


Unhappy about stolen sign

A Brookfield man was warned not to take the law into his own hands after he reportedly told a police officer that he would “take care of” the boy who stole a “Back the Blue” sign from the front lawn of his residence in the 9000 block of Burlington Avenue on June 6 at about 6:30 a.m.

According to police, the victim showed them a screen shot from private security camera video of a juvenile, who was dressed in dark shorts and a T-shirt and walking a dog, carrying the sign while walking on the sidewalk.

As an officer talked to the victim, he reportedly said he would “take care of that kid” if he saw him in the future. After the officer advised him to call police if he saw the juvenile and not approach him, the man reportedly replied that he was “old school.”

The officer again advised him that he would be subject to arrest if he committed a crime against the person who stole his sign.


School window screens damaged

Brookfield police responded to Congress Park School, 9311 Shields Ave., on June 10 at 5:45 a.m. after a school employee called to report that multiple window screens had been damaged sometime during the prior 24 hours.

According to the police report, nine window screens along the east side of the building appeared to have been torn by an object. One screen appeared to be missing altogether.


Mama cat on the attack

Brookfield police cited a woman for allowing her cat to exit an open window at the front of her home and attack a man who was walking his dog past it on June 11 at about 2:40 p.m.

The victim said the cat, which was lounging in an open window, began hissing at him and his dog as they walked by the house. The cat then attacked them, scratching the man on the legs and torso as he tried to pick up his dog to defend it.

After the victim called out for help, the cat’s owner was able to get the animal under control. The cat’s owner reportedly told police her cat recently had kittens and was being very protective to the point of fighting with other pets in the household.


Not a traffic lane

Brookfield police ticketed a 16-year-old Westmont boy for obstructing a grade crossing after he accidentally crashed his Chevy Sebring into the Burlington Northern-Santa Fe Railroad tracks at Maple Avenue and then got it stuck on the tracks at about 10:15 p.m. on June 13.

According to the police report, the driver told police he’d just gotten his driver’s license four days earlier and that he was unfamiliar with Brookfield street layout. He was headed north across the tracks and turned right onto the northernmost set of tracks, thinking it was a traffic lane.

Train traffic was shut down for about an hour as the car was towed off the tracks and the rails were inspected for any damage.


These items were obtained from police reports filed by the Riverside, North Riverside and Brookfield police departments, June 6-14, and represent a portion of the incidents to which police responded. Unless otherwise indicated, anybody named in these reports has only been charged with a crime. These cases have not been adjudicated.

— Compiled by Bob Uphues