Two men in the midst of burglarizing a home in the 2200 block of Park Avenue, North Riverside, on the evening of Sept. 13 fled as the residents returned, but not before stealing thousands of dollars in jewelry and other items.

The victims called police at about 7:35 p.m. after they arrived home and one of them went inside to find the house ransacked and the offenders still inside. The two offenders ran out a side door and into the backyard before hopping the fence and running down the alley with one of the victims in pursuit.

Police later learned through surveillance video that the men parked an older model silver Honda Accord with a loud muffler in the 2200 block of Westover Avenue at about 5 p.m.

The two walked south on Westover and then westbound through the alley to the victims’ home. At about 6 p.m., the two can be seen walking through the alley toward their vehicle with handfuls of items. A third offender reportedly helped the other two load the items into the car and driving away.

The vehicle returned at about 7:10 p.m. to the 2200 block of Westover Avenue and the two offenders can be seen running back to the car just after 7:30 p.m.

Police reported observing signs of forced entry to one of the home’s doors.


Three charged in bus stop assault

North Riverside police charged a 14-year-old boy with aggravated battery and two other boys, ages 16 and 14, with battery after they reportedly assaulted a 17-year-old girl who was waiting for a bus at North Riverside Park Mall, 7501 Cermak Road, and then assaulted a woman who was video recording the incident and her family member who tried to intervene on Sept. 19 at about 5:50 p.m.

According to the police report, the three boys asked the girl for her phone number. When she refused, the 16-year-old boys allegedly slapped her face, and she responded by punching him in the face.

When one of the 14 year olds saw a female witness recording the incident on her phone, he reportedly punched her in the wrist. When a male family member went to intervene, the other 14 year old allegedly hit him with a crutch and punched him several times.

The two witnesses refused medical attention and the initial victim left the scene without making a report.


The dangers of Zoom school

  • Brookfield paramedics transported a 14-year-old Brookfield boy to the hospital after he reportedly rode his bicycle through a stop sign at the intersection of Harrison and Washington avenues directly into the side of a 2010 Nissan truck while attending a high school gym class via Zoom.

The boy reportedly told a police officer that he was on a Zoom class for Riverside-Brookfield High School and was wearing ear buds “while doing his required activity” when he drove into the truck. The boy had a bloody nose, suffered a bruise to the right side of his head and complained of right knee pain, police reported.

The driver of the truck, who was eastbound on Washington Avenue and did not have a stop sign, said he saw the bike out of the corner of his eye and tried to brake, but could not do so in time.

  • An unknown person who Zoom-bombed a Hauser Junior High class online, typed in obscenities as messages and displayed a handgun before being kicked out of the meeting on Sept. 17 apparently got the meeting ID and password from a SnapChat message daring someone to come into the class.

The Hauser student who reportedly admitted posting the link and password as a Snapchat story apparently did not know the person who Zoomed in.


Three charged with Riverside burglary

Riverside police have charged three boys — a 17-year-old from Riverside, a 16-year-old from North Riverside and a 17-year-old from Oak Lawn – with burglary and theft for allegedly breaking into Mollie’s Public House, 31 Forest Ave., just after midnight on Aug. 17 and stealing cash from the register and numerous bottles of alcohol.

Detectives who had obtained leads through security camera video, canvassing the area and social media posts reported arresting one of the boys inside an apartment at the building where Mollie’s is located.

While taking him into custody, another suspect arrived at the building. Police arrested him after a short foot pursuit. A third suspect was arrested after police interviewed the first two.

All three suspects had lived in Riverside at one point and attended high school together, police said. Two of them later moved, one to North Riverside and one to Oak Lawn.

  • Brookfield police responded to the 3700 block of Raymond Avenue on the morning of Sept. 16 after a resident called in to report that his truck, which had been parked in front of the residence overnight, had been burglarized.

The victim said he may have left the vehicle unlocked and that several items were missing, including power and hand tools, as well as a drone. The victim estimated the loss at roughly $2,200.


Aggressive coyote tranquilized

Riverside police called in experts from the Cook County Department of Animal Control on the afternoon of Sept. 17 after a resident called 911 to report a sick, aggressive coyote wandering through backyards in the 200 block of Shenstone Road.

One homeowner said she became alarmed when the coyote did not run away from her, but rather hissed toward her dog and then approached in her direction, growling. She called 911 at about 2:50 p.m.

Cook County Animal Control sent three officers to the scene and they were preparing to shoot it with a tranquilizer dart when the coyote jumped the fence and ran between other yards.

The county officers eventually were able to dart the coyote, but it only stunned the animal. However, they were able to get closer and use a dart pole to finally subdue the coyote around 5:55 p.m. They then transported the coyote to an animal rehabilitation facility in Barrington, police said.


Comcast crew excavates bone

A single bone excavated during a job by a crew from Comcast in the 100 block of North Delaplaine Road on the morning of Sept. 10 turned out to be non-human remains, according to the Cook County Medical Examiner’s Office.

A Comcast worker called Riverside police at about 11:50 a.m. after unearthing the bone. Police roped off the area and checked for more remains at the site, but could find none.

While human skeletal remains have been found in areas of Riverside known to be have been Native American burial grounds near the Des Plaines River, the area along that stretch of Delaplaine Road is not such a place.

Police turned the bone over the medical examiner’s office, which ruled out human remains.


These items were obtained from police reports filed by the Riverside, North Riverside and Brookfield police departments, Sept. 11-20, and represent a portion of the incidents to which police responded. Unless otherwise indicated, anybody named in these reports has only been charged with a crime. These cases have not been adjudicated.