Get your rock on at these outdoor concerts
North Riverside Parks and Rec invites you to take a tour through the early days of rock ‘n’ roll when they present The Neverly Brothers in concert on Thursday, July 8 at 7 p.m. in the rear lot of the Village Commons, 2401 Desplaines Ave.
The Neverlys play tribute to 1950s American rock n’ roll, rockabilly and rhythm & blues pioneers as well as the bands they inspired — the 1964 British Invasion groups. Admission is free. Concessions will be available for purchase.
You can stay in a similar groove at the Brookfield Parks & Rec outdoor concert slated for Friday, July 9 at 7 p.m. at Kiwanis Park, 8820 Brookfield Ave.
Performing live on the band shell stage will be The StingRays, presenting music from the 1950s, 1960s and 1970s. Beer and wine will be available for purchase. Cancellations due to inclement weather will be made at 3 p.m. on concert day.
Color your World
Brookfield Public Library invites you to join music historian Gary Wenstrup as he presents “Color My World: The Band Chicago” on Thursday, July 8 at 7 p.m.
This special Zoom program uses performance and interview clips to trace the arc of the famous horn-driven band Chicago, from their early rocking recordings like “25 or 6 to 4” to their softer hits like “If You Leave me Now.”
Registration required by calling 708-485-6917, ext. 140 or at the Brookfield library’s online events calendar.
Birding with North Riverside Library
North Riverside Library, 2400 Desplaines Ave., is teaming up with the Museum of Natural History for a Birdwatching Walking Tour on Friday, July 9 at 8:30 a.m.
Take a walking field trip and learn the ins and outs of birding during this special outdoor program. Binoculars will be provided. Face coverings are required.
To register for the program, visit the North Riverside library’s online events calendar.
RAC Members & Kids Show
Riverside Arts Center, 32 E. Quincy St., presents its annual RAC Members & Kids Show from July 8-30.
All of the work has been submitted by RAC members and students under the age of 18. An artists’ reception will be held on July 10 in the galleries and garden with a dance performance by The Seldoms at 3 p.m. COVID protocols will be adhered to.
RAC is open Thursday through Saturday from 1 to 5 p.m. Walk-ins welcome.
Veterans virtual hiring event
The Cook County Department of Veterans Affairs, Cook County Workforce Partnership, National Able Network and the Illinois Department of Employment Security will host a veterans’ virtual hiring event on Monday, July 12 at 10 a.m.
The free event is intended to connect Chicago area veterans with employers who are actively hiring across an array of industries, including information technology, healthcare, finance and more.
Registration deadline is July 8, so email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by that date. Visit VeteransForward.org for event registration.
- The Frederick Law Olmsted Society and village of Riverside will host their next Landscape Workday on Saturday, July 10 from 9 a.m. to noon at Patriots Park. RSVP required at least 24 hours in advance by emailing to email@example.com or calling 708-447-0226. Wear a face covering and bring work gloves and a water bottle. All other supplies and snacks provided. Look for the public works dump truck.
- The Riverside Farmers Market continues every Wednesday from 2:30 to 7 p.m. at Centennial Park, 10 Pine Ave., in downtown Riverside. The layout will remain the same as 2020, with an entrance and exit and one-way traffic along with social distancing. Face coverings are required for those who are not vaccinated and no pets are allowed.
- The Brookfield Farmers Market continues every Saturday, from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Brookfield Village Hall, 8820 Brookfield Ave. Face coverings are required and please practice social distancing. Enter and exit at Brookfield Ave. via the northeast corner of the market. No pets allowed. Park in front of or behind village hall or along Brookfield Ave.
- North Riverside Public Library, 2400 Desplaines Ave., offers a number of virtual programs through Facebook Live, conference calls and the teleconferencing app Zoom.
Adults can get a Wits Workout Grab and Go Bag with new puzzles to keep your mind sharp every week of the summer. There’s also Crafternoons: Dump Pour Vase & Canvas (register in advance and pick up materials) outside at the library on July 10 at 1:30 p.m. and Book Club Telephone Talk discussing “Garden Spells” by Sarah Addison Allen on July 13 at 6:45 p.m. via conference call (1-800-747-5150, code 1453322).
For kids, there’s ABCs & 123s in the Parks (location will be emailed no later than Sunday) on July 12 at 10:30 a.m. and Story Safari in the Great Outdoors in the library’s outdoor space or via Zoom on July 13 at 10:30 a.m.
Visit the North Riverside library’s online events calendar for more info.
- Brookfield Public Library offers virtual classes and programs for patrons of all ages throughout the week. Most youth activities will be presented live on the library’s Facebook page.
For adults, there’s Chair Yoga via Zoom on July 8 at 11 a.m.; Lunch and Learn: The Power of Storytelling to your Organization’s Culture, Growth & Inclusion with marketing and communications expert Jennifer Fortney via Zoom on July 9 at noon; and the Facebook Live program Passport to Our Stories, focusing on immigrant stories from people around the world on July 7 and 14 at 1 p.m.
Call 708-485-6917, ext. 130 or visit Brookfield library’s online events calendar to register for programs.
- Riverside Public Library, 1 Burling Road, invites kids and adults to Friday Outdoor Storytime on July 9 at 10 a.m. (weather permitting) and Storytime at the Community Garden (at Ascension Lutheran Church, 400 Nuttall Road) on July 13 at 10 a.m. No registration required. Weather permitting.
There’s also the final entry in the four-part Museum of Bad Art virtual series on July 14 at 7 p.m. “A Visit to the MOBA Zoo” includes sincere original art of treasured pets, animals in the wild and ones that exist only in the artists’ imaginations. Via Zoom.
Visit the Riverside library’s online events calendar for more info.