Canine massage workshop
North Riverside Public Library invites you to join canine masseuse JoAnne for a Zoom workshop exploring the physical and psychological benefits of canine massage on Wednesday, July 21 at 7 p.m.
Pets need R&R, too, but their options in a human world are limited. That’s where canine massage comes in.
Register to attend by visiting the North Riverside library’s online events calendar.
Holocaust Museum program on Zoom
Brookfield Public Library invites you to join Bernadette Marty of the Illinois Holocaust Museum for “They Shall Be Counted: The Theresienstadt Ghetto Art of Erich Lichtblau-Leskly,” a special Zoom program on Wednesday, July 14 at 6 p.m.
Even while imprisoned in the Theresienstadt ghetto, Lichtblau-Leskly managed to express himself through illustrations as a tribute to ghetto residents. He cut his art into pieces out of fear for his safety, hid them under the floorboards of his barracks and retrieved them after liberation, reworking the illustrations into full-size watercolors.
Registration is required. Call 708-485-6917, ext. 130 or visit the Brookfield library’s online events calendar.
Job fair at North Riverside Mall
North Riverside Park Mall, 7501 Cermak Road, will host a mall-wide job fair, with many of the shopping center’s stores and businesses looking to fill a wide variety of positions, both part time and full time, on Friday, July 16 and Saturday, July 17 from noon to 4 p.m.
Two dozen participating stores will have a table outside their storefronts to accept applications, schedule interviews and conduct interviews. No appointments are necessary.
Storytime in the woods
Brookfield Public Library’s Youth Services Department will host a special Into the Woods Storytime on Saturday, July 17 at 11 a.m. at the Oak Savanna in Kiwanis Park, Arden and Washington avenues in Brookfield.
In addition to the story, there will be a scavenger hunt. Registration and face coverings are required, but the program is free to attend. Call 708-485-6917, ext. 140 or visit the Brookfield library’s online events calendar to register.
- Brookfield Parks and Rec continues its Concerts in the Park series on July 16 at 7 p.m. with The Neverly Brothers onstage at the band shell in Kiwanis Park, 8820 Brookfield Ave. Admission is free. Beer and wine available for purchase. Cancellations due to weather will be made at 3 p.m. on concert day.
- Riverside Arts Center, 32 E. Quincy St., presents its annual RAC Members Show in the Freeark Gallery and “From Here to There: Young Adult and Teen Volunteers” in the FlexSpace Gallery through July 31. Admission is free. RAC is open Thursday through Saturday from 1 to 5 p.m. Walk-ins welcome.
- The Riverside Farmers Market continues every Wednesday from 2:30 to 7 p.m. at Centennial Park, 10 Pine Ave., in downtown Riverside. The layout will remain the same as 2020, with an entrance and exit and one-way traffic along with social distancing. Face coverings are required for those who are not vaccinated and no pets are allowed.
- The Brookfield Farmers Market continues every Saturday, from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Brookfield Village Hall, 8820 Brookfield Ave. Face coverings are required and please practice social distancing. Enter and exit at Brookfield Ave. via the northeast corner of the market. No pets allowed. Park in front of or behind village hall or along Brookfield Ave.
- North Riverside Public Library, 2400 Desplaines Ave., offers a number of virtual programs through Facebook Live, conference calls and the teleconferencing app Zoom.
Adults can get a Wits Workout Grab and Go Bag with new puzzles to keep your mind sharp every week of the summer. There’s also the Writers Group via Zoom on July 15 at 6 p.m. and Stretching and Meditation on July 19 at 6:30 p.m. via conference call (1-800-747-5150, code 1453322).
For kids, there’s ABCs & 123s in the Parks (location will be emailed no later than Sunday) on July 19 at 10:30 a.m.; Story Safari in the Great Outdoors in the library’s outdoor space or via Zoom on July 20 at 10:30 a.m.; and Jackbox Game: Champ’d Up (grades 6-12) via Zoom on July 17 at 3 p.m.
Visit the North Riverside library’s online events calendar for more info.
- Brookfield Public Library offers virtual classes and programs for patrons of all ages throughout the week. Most youth activities will be presented live on the library’s Facebook page.
For adults, there’s Chair Yoga via Zoom on July 15 at 11 a.m.; Girls Night Out Book Club on July 19 at 7:15 p.m. via Zoom to discuss “The Dutch House” by Ann Patchett; and the Facebook Live program Passport to Our Stories, focusing on immigrant stories from people around the world on July 14 and 21 at 1 p.m.
Call 708-485-6917, ext. 130 or visit the Brookfield library’s online events calendar to register for programs.
- Riverside Public Library, 1 Burling Road, invites kids to Friday Outdoor Storytime on July 16 at 10 a.m.; a Nailed It! Challenge (for kids grades 5+) via Zoom on July 15 at 2 p.m.; and a Book Discussion of Magic Tree House” by Mary Pope Osborne outside the library (via Zoom in case of bad weather) on July 20 at 11 a.m. Visit the Riverside library’s online events calendar for more info.