Boo! at the Zoo returns
Families can have a howling good time at Boo! at the Zoo, the annual Halloween celebration on Oct. 9-10, 16-17, and 23-24 at Brookfield Zoo, 8400 31st St.
Don your favorite costume and take memorable snapshots at the many Halloween-themed photo frames and vignettes, including the new Howl-O-Scene.
Afterwards, find your way through the Craized Maize corn maze on the zoo’s West Mall. Youngsters will receive sweet treats as they exit the park.
For more information, visit CZS.org/Events.
African Americans in Early LaGrange walking tour
CommUNITY Diversity Group of LaGrange invites you explore African Americans in Early LaGrange: A Self-Guided Walking Tour, which the group has just launched.
You can learn more about early LaGrange history by visiting tour sites in person or reading through the tour notes at home. Access the full walking tour electronically here where you’ll also be able to scan QR codes that will take you directly to the tour maps.
Halloween decorating contest in North Riverside
North Riverside Parks & Recreation challenges all households in the village to get into the spirit of the season by entering the Halloween Decorating Competition in October.
There will be awards given to the top three decorated houses and winners will receive a lawn sign declaring their triumphant status. Photos of home entries will be placed on the North Riverside Parks & Rec Facebook page.
There’s no cost to participate, but you must register to enter by Oct. 25 by calling 708-442-5515.
Learn to make great cocktails
The Linda Sokol Francis Brookfield Library invites you to learn how to whip up fun and sophisticated cocktails during “Mixology 101,” a special Zoom program on Friday, Oct. 8 at 6 p.m.
Professional bartender James Harren will discuss the history and traditions of cocktails, the three most asked for cocktails and interesting and relatively unknown mixers. Recipes will be included.
Register by calling 708-485-6917, ext. 130 or visiting online.
Share your Soles at LTHS
The Lyons Township High School Share your Soles campaign, sponsored by Interact Club and Future Healthcare Professionals, runs through Oct. 13.
The clubs seek donations of new or like-new shoes of most any type and size, for any type of weather. The need for athletic shoes is the greatest. Please no high-heeled shoes or boots.
All shoes will be sent to those in greatest need around the world. Donation boxes are inside the main entrances at either North or South Campus. Shoes may be dropped off anytime during regular school hours, 7:45 a.m.-3 p.m.
- The Brookfield Chamber of Commerce continues its 60-to-Win raffle drawings every Thursday through Nov. 18 at 4:30 p.m. at Joe’s Saloon, 9220 47th St. in Brookfield. You can also watch a livestream on the Brookfield Chamber of Commerce Facebook page. Winners’ names will be posted each week at brookfieldchamber.net.
- Riverside Arts Center, 32 E. Quincy St., hosts two exhibitions through Oct. 16. In the Freeark Gallery and Sculpture Garden there’s “Coded: Coated” featuring the work of Jonathan Castillo, Hannah Givler and Paul Somers. The FlexSpace Gallery hosts “Proposals and Speculations” featuring the work of Shir Ende and Lancer Livermont. Free and open to the public. Gallery hours are Thursday-Saturday, 1 to 5 p.m.
- Riverside Arts Center presents “Porcelain Utopia: Mid-Century Lustron Homes in Illinois and Beyond,” an exhibit of photographs by Dirk Fletcher in the lobby of the Riverside Township Hall, 27 Riverside Road, through Dec. 31. Free. Open Monday through Friday 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- The Riverside Farmers Market continues every Wednesday from 2:30 to 7 p.m. at Centennial Park, 10 Pine Ave., in downtown Riverside. Social distancing encouraged. Face coverings are required for those who are not vaccinated and no pets are allowed. On Oct. 13, there will also be a Curbside Cuisine food truck event at the market.
- The Brookfield Farmers Market continues every Saturday, from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Brookfield Village Hall, 8820 Brookfield Ave. for locally sourced fruits, vegetables, meats, cheeses, baked goods and artisan ware. Live music and a picnic area. Social distancing is encouraged and face coverings are required for non-vaccinated guests.
- North Riverside Public Library, 2400 Desplaines Ave., invites you to explore your family tree by visiting their Ancestry Help Desk every Friday from 2 to 6 p.m. through November. There’s also the NRPL Book Club, where participants can attend either in-person or via conference call, on Oct. 12 at 6:45 p.m. This month’s book is “The House on Mango Street” by Sandra Cisneros. You can also enjoy games like Scrabble, Yahtzee and more at the in-person Classic Games Club on Oct. 12 from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Kids ages 4-up can choose either in-person or Zoom attendance for Lapsit Storytime on Oct. 7 at 10:30 a.m., After School Art Escape on Oct. 7 at 3:30 p.m., Learn with Lester the Llama on Oct. 9 at 10:30 a.m.; ABCs and 123s on Oct. 11 at 10:30 a.m., Pajama Storytime (Zoom only) on Oct. 11 at 6:30 p.m. and Story Safari on Oct. 13 at 10:30 a.m.
Visit the North Riverside library’s online events calendar to register for all programs.
- Linda Sokol Francis Brookfield Library, 3541 Park Ave., invites you to Chicago Movie Theaters and the 1918 Flu Pandemic, a Zoom presentation by movie historian Kelli Marshall on Oct. 11 at 7 p.m.
Visit the Brookfield library’s online events calendar to register for programs.
- Riverside Public Library, 1 Burling Road, invites you to Outdoor All-Ages Storytime on Oct. 8 at 10 a.m.; Friday Flix for teens in the Teen Room on Oct. 8 at 3:30 p.m.; Mini-Movers Storytime on Oct. 11 at 9:30 a.m., 11 a.m. and 1:30 p.m.; and Preschool/Kindergarten Storytime on Oct. 12 at 9:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. Registration required.
Visit Riverside library’s online events calendar to register for programs.
- Riverside Chess Club, open to anyone age 5 through adult, meets in person each Wednesday at 5 p.m. in Guthrie Park, Riverside and Bloomingbank roads in downtown Riverside. Players of all levels welcome. Children under 7 require caregiver over 13. Email email@example.com for more info.