Detectives from the WESTAF forensics unit were among the police officers responding to the apartment building at 63 Forest Ave. in Riverside where two people were found dead on the afternoon of Nov. 13. | Bob Uphues/Editor

Riverside police have released very few details about an apparent double murder that took place inside a downtown apartment, the first homicides reported in the village in nearly three decades.

Jeremy Lane, 38, who lived in the third-floor apartment at 63 Forest Ave., and Tiata Johnson, 31, of Danville, were both shot multiple times, according to the Cook County Medical Examiner’s Office.

Jeremy Lane
Tiata Johnson

It’s unclear exactly when the shootings took place. Police, responding to a report of a possible burglary at the apartment on Nov. 13 about 1 p.m., discovered the lifeless bodies of Lane and Johnson inside the unit.

A man who was seen to be visibly upset and wailing outside the building about 1:20 p.m., before police cordoned off the building with crime tape, left the scene in a Riverside squad car a short time later. He did not appear to be in custody.

Riverside Public Safety Director Matthew Buckley declined to answer questions emailed Nov. 15 by the Landmark about the case, including why the incident was first called in as a burglary, who notified police, whether anyone inside the building reported hearing any gunshots, and whether police had identified a suspect.

Local police have only confirmed the shooting deaths of Lane and Johnson, waiting more than 24 hours after responding to the apartment building to officially classify the case as a homicide investigation.

Police have only said they consider the incident as “isolated” and that “there is no threat to the Riverside community.”

Yellow crime tape was also placed around Lane’s vehicle, a custom 1980s-era Chevy Monte Carlo, which was parked across the street from the apartment building in the lot of the Riverside Masonic Temple, 40 Forest Ave.

Police also seem to have identified Johnson’s vehicle, which appeared to be parked on the street in front of the apartment building. Forest Avenue was closed to traffic for hours as detectives processed the scene late into the night on Nov. 13.

The fatal shootings were the first homicides in Riverside since 1992, when David Gevas killed his infant twins, 9-month-old Jessica and John, inside a Harlem Avenue apartment. Gevas is serving a life sentence for the murders at Logan Correctional Center.

The building at 63 Forest Ave. is part of a large, three-courtyard, apartment complex that stretches from 43 to 63 Forest Ave. In January 2019, a resident of the building was charged with attempted murder after shooting a 19-year-old Broadview man through the windshield of a vehicle outside the complex.

The shooting reportedly took place after the victim paid Radkiewicz for cannabis with two counterfeit $20 bills for cannabis. When he realized the bills were fake, Radkiewicz ran outside the building and fired four 9 mm rounds through the windshield of the victim’s car, striking the victim twice.

The victim survived and Radkiewicz pleaded guilty in August 2019 to aggravated battery with a firearm. He was sentenced to 10 years in prison and remains in custody at the Dixon Correctional Center, where he is eligible for parole in July 2027.