Kiddie New Year’s Eve
Kids ages 5-8 can ring in the New Year early courtesy of Riverside Parks & Recreation during their Kiddie NYE Party set for Friday, Dec. 31 from 10:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. at the Scout Cabin, 417 Fairbank Road.
There will be games and activities before gearing up for the countdown and ringing in the New Year with noisemakers, treats and a celebration.
The cost is $15 per child ($20 non-residents). Register online or in person at Riverside Recreation Center, 43 E. Quincy St.
Join the Anime Club
Do you like Anime, Manga? Enjoy some Pocky? The Linda Sokol Francis Brookfield Library, 3541 Park Ave., invites kids and young adults in grades six through 12 to join its twice-a-month Anime Club which meets next on Monday, Dec. 27 at 4 p.m.
The club meets in Meeting Room 1 in the library’s lower level. Registration is required by visiting online.
Read to the dogs
The Linda Sokol Francis Brookfield Library invites kids to join the Hinsdale Humane Society and Read to the Dogs on Zoom on Tuesday, Dec. 28 from 7 to 8 p.m.
Those who register by calling 708-485-6917, ext. 140 or online will receive a confirmation email with instructions for signing in to the event.
‘The Preacher’s Wife’ at North Riverside Library
North Riverside Public Library, 2400 Desplaines Ave., will screen the 1996 film “The Preacher’s Wife” starring Whitney Houston, Denzel Washington, Courtney B. Vance and Gregory Hines during Mary’s Monthly Movie on Tuesday, Dec. 28 at 2 p.m.
Based on the 1947 film “The Bishop’s Wife,” this seasonal comedy-drama tells the story of a pastor’s struggling to keep his congregation and marriage afloat and having his prayers answered by an angel who helps restore the pastor’s faith and family.
Free. Refreshments provided. Register to attend at the reference desk, by calling 708-447-0869 or visiting online.
Holly-Day Camp in North Riverside
North Riverside Parks and Rec offers families a way to kick cabin fever during the school break by inviting kids ages 4-12 to their Holly-Day Camp on Dec. 23 and Dec. 27-30 from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at the Village Commons, 2401 Desplaines Ave.
Kids will enjoy sports, games, arts and crafts, treats and music. There will also be outdoor activities, so plan accordingly. Register for one or more dates at $25 per day ($27 non-resident). Before/after camp available (7:30-9 a.m./3-6 p.m.) for $10 per day.
- Brookfield Zoo’s 40th Annual Holiday Magic festival of lights continues Dec. 26-31 from 3 to 9 p.m. each day. Reserved-time admission (available in 20-minute increments) and parking tickets must be purchased online prior to arrival. Visit CZS.org/OnlineTicketing.
- Riverside Arts Center, 32 E. Quincy St., welcomes visitors to enjoy the exhibitions “Messengers” featuring the art of Liz Chilsen and “Obstacles and Intimacies” by Stephanie Brooks, which continue through Jan. 8, and “Vessels,” featuring the art of Tulika Ladsariya, Melissa Zeigler Monroe and Shawn Vincent, which continues through Dec. 31. Gallery hours: Thurs.-Sat. from 1 to 5 p.m. or by appointment.
- Visit Santa Claus in the lower level center court of North Riverside Park Mall, 7501 Cermak Road, through Christmas Eve on the following dates: Dec. 22-23 from noon to 8 p.m. and Dec. 24 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Visits are free, photo packages available for purchase.
- North Riverside Public Library, 2400 Desplaines Ave., invites you to join the Spice Club and swing by Dec. 27-30 and grab a “Take & Shake” Bloody Mary Spice Kit. You’ll get a bag of pre-sorted spices, recipes and related goodies. Registration encouraged. There’s also in-person Yoga and Meditation courtesy of Age Options on Dec. 27 at 6:30 p.m. and Charcuterie Boards via Facebook Live or YouTube on Dec. 29 at 6:30 p.m.
Register for events at the North Riverside library’s online event calendar.
- Riverside Public Library, 1 Burling Road, invites kids to stop by the Children and Youth Services desk beginning Dec. 27 to grab a special New Year’s Take Home Craft kit to help ring in 2022. Available while supplied last.
Visit the Riverside library’s online event calendar for more.
- Riverside Chess Club, open to anyone age 5 through adult, meets in person each Wednesday at 5 p.m. in Room 30 of the Riverside Township Hall, 27 Riverside Road. Players of all levels welcome. Children under 7 require caregiver over 13. Email email@example.com for more info.
- Through March 25, 2022 the Lyons Township High School South Campus Fieldhouse indoor track, 4900 S. Willow Springs Road in Western Springs, will be open to the public from 6 to 7 a.m. on days LTHS is in session. There is no admission charge or fee to use the track. Please bring an ID and be prepared to sign in.
- The Brookfield Elks Lodge, 9022 31st St., hosts bingo the second Sunday of every month. Doors open at 1 p.m. and games start at 2 p.m. with cash payouts.