Spring Fling at North Riverside Mall
North Riverside Park Mall, 7501 Cermak Road, will host a Spring Fling celebration for moms on Saturday, May 7 from noon to 3 p.m. in the shopping center’s lower level next to Fanzz.
The event features live music by mariachi singer Luis Alfredo and a performance by La Academia Folkloric Dancers. The first 200 kids will receive a free DIY flower pot for mom.
For more info, visit northriversieparkmall.com/spring-fling.
Not just some corny story
Join food historian Cynthia A. Clampitt as she presents an eye “popping” lecture about the history of corn during “How Corn Changed Itself and Then Changed Everything Else” on May 9 at 6 p.m. in Meeting Room 1 of the Linda Sokol Francis Brookfield Library, 3541 Park Ave.
Learn how corn transformed the Americas and its impact on not only the Midwest but just about everything in it today. Hosted in partnership with the Illinois Humanities Road Scholars program.
Register to attend at 708-485-6917, ext. 130 or at brookfield.evanced.info/signup.
120 years of the Chicago Auto Show
Chicago Auto Show historian Mitch Frumkin will lead a fast-paced tour through auto history, showing off historic vehicle debuts, classics of the 1920s-30s, decades of muscle and pony cars, imports, supercars, exotics, celebrities, musical stage shows, community queens and much more during “History of the Chicago Auto Show: 1901-2021” on May 11 at 7 p.m.
The program will be held in the Community Room of the Riverside Public Library, 1 Burling Road. Win free tickets to the 2023 Chicago Auto Show. Register at riversidelibrary.org/events.
LTHS student art show
Lyons Township High School will host its annual Spring Art Show from May 6 to May 15 at South Campus Room D103, 4900 S Willow Springs Road in Western Springs. Student artwork in all media will be on display.
There will be an opening reception on May 12 from 7 to 8:30 p.m. The show and reception are free and open to the public. The exhibition is open weekdays from 3:05 to 4:30 p.m., on Saturdays from noon to 4 p.m. and Sundays from noon to 2 p.m.
- Tallgrass Sudbury School, 82 Woodside Road, will host an Open House on May 10 from 6 to 7:30 p.m. Learn more about the Tallgrass education, get a tour and talk with the school’s staff, students and parents. This event is in person in accordance with CDC guidelines. RSVP required. Get the link to register at tallgrasssudbury.org.
- Nazareth Academy, 1209 W. Ogden Ave. in LaGrange Park, invites the public to join faculty and students from the Fine Arts Department for a Visual Arts Open House, including a reception and gallery tours, on May 6 from 5 to 8 p.m. There’s also a Pops Choir Concert on May 10 at 7 p.m. in the Alexine Chapel and a Pops Band Concert on May 11 at 7 p.m. in the Romano family Theatre. All are free and open to the public.
- Riverside Arts Center, 32 E. Quincy St., hosts its Riverside-Brookfield High School Annual Advanced Placement Art Exhibition through May 7 in the Freeark Gallery and Sculpture Garden. Gallery hours are Thursday through Saturday from 1 to 5 p.m.
There’s also a photography exhibition, “Love You Bro” featuring the work of Stephanie Graham in the lobby of the Riverside Township Hall, 27 Riverside Road, Riverside, through June 30. Hours are Mon.-Thurs. 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Friday 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- North Riverside Public Library, 2400 Desplaines Ave., invites seniors to join Breda Moran of AgeOptions for the virtual program Applying for SNAP and Other Benefits on May 5 at 11 a.m. Kids in grades 6-12 can learn how to Turn your Handwriting into a Font on May 7 at 1:30 p.m. Register for programs online.
- Linda Sokol Francis Brookfield Library, 3541 Park Ave., invites seniors to learn how to avoid Medicare scams and report fraud and abuse during SMP Basics: Understanding How the Senior Medicare Patrol Program Works on May 6 at 10:30 a.m. in person or via Zoom. You can also join Marty Blank’s Film Discussion Series on May 10 at 6:30 p.m. for a screening of the Ukrainian film “Love Me.” Call 708-485-6917 or visit online to register for programs.
- Riverside Public Library, 1 Burling Road, invites you to join Gina Consolino-Barsotti for silent and guided meditation during Mindfulness Together in person or via Zoom on May 6 at noon. There’s also an All Ages Outdoor Storytime on May 6 at 10 a.m. Bring your blanket, listening ears and dancing feet and enjoy stories, songs and rhymes. To register for programs visit online.
- The Brookfield Elks Lodge, 9022 31st St., hosts its Sunday bingo this month on May 15. Doors open at 1 p.m. and games start at 2 p.m. with cash payouts.