Riverside walking tours kick off May 29
The Frederick Law Olmsted Society kicks off its seasonal walking tours of Riverside, highlighting the village’s design, history and architecture beginning Sunday, May 29 from 2 to 4 p.m.
The tour will cover the area north of the railroad tracks and features the Longcommon, an architecturally significant school, a place of worship designed by William LeBaron Jenney and homes by Silsbee, Wright and Purcell & Elmslie.
Tours are $20 per person ($15 for seniors 62+ and Olmsted Society members). Tour groups depart at 2 p.m. from the Riverside Train Depot (east side of platform) at 90 Bloomingbank Road.
Reservations required. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 708-447-7635 to make reservations. Payment is made via PayPal or credit card only at olmstedsociety.org.
Blood drive at North Riverside Mall
North Riverside Park Mall, 7501 Cermak Road, will host a blood drive on May 28 from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. in the upper level concourse near the center court opposite Pandora.
Vitalant will be running the blood drive. Appointments are recommended, although walk-ups are welcome. Prepare, eat well, keep hydrated and bring your ID. Masks are optional.
To schedule a donation or for more information call 877-258-4825 or visit vitalant.org and use group code 373E. All donors with a confirmed e-mail address on file will receive a Vitalant Summer Donor T-shirt (redeemable by email).
Leonardo kicks of Summer Reading Challenge
The Linda Sokol Francis Brookfield Library, 3541 Park Ave., kicks off its annual Summer Reading Challenge with a performance by award-winning children’s musician Leonardo on June 1 at 6:30 p.m., outside on the library’s plaza.
While enjoying Leonardo’s the high-energy, interactive show, attendees can also register for the Summer Reading Challenge. This year’s theme is Read Beyond the Beaten Path, encouraging participants to explore something new. Kids in grades K-12 can win prizes by reading books or completing challenges they can track via an app.
For more info or to register visit the library, call 708-485-6917, ext. 140 or visit online
Bike (virtually) around Lake Superior
Riverside Public Library and Riverside Bank invite you to join John Lynn as he takes you on a virtual tour from Duluth, Minnesota, to Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan, making stops along the way during “A Superior Biking Adventure” on May 26 at 7 p.m. via Zoom.
Visit the Porcupine and Huron mountains, Keweenaw Peninsula, Apostle Islands, Tahquamon Falls and more.
Register to attend by visiting online.
Butterflies! back at Brookfield Zoo
For the first time since 2019, Brookfield Zoo will reopen its Butterflies! exhibit, located near the zoo’s north entrance, 8400 31st St., on May 28 through Sept. 5.
Zoogoers can once again explore the outdoor garden and surround themselves with butterflies native to North America, including monarchs, zebra longwings and swallowtails. New this season, several species of moths will be sharing the habitat.
Butterflies! is open during regular zoo hours. Admission is $4 for adults, $3 for children ages 3-11, and $3.50 for seniors who are 65 and older. Visit CZS.org/Butterflies for more.
- Riverside Arts Center, 32 E. Quincy St., hosts two exhibitions through June 25. In the Freeark Gallery is “The Old Same Place,” a solo show by Joseph Noderer, while the FlexSpace Gallery hosts “Flock,” a site-specific installation by Catherine Schwalbe. Gallery hours are Thursday-Saturday from 1 to 5 p.m.
There’s also the photography exhibition, “Love You Bro” featuring the work of Stephanie Graham in the lobby of the Riverside Township Hall, 27 Riverside Road, Riverside, through June 30. Hours are Mon.-Thurs. 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Friday 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- North Riverside Public Library, 2400 Desplaines Ave., invites you to make an appointment to visit the Ancestry Help Desk on May 27 between 2 and 6 p.m. You can also attend an in-person Scrapbooking Drop-in session on May 28 at 1 p.m. Register for programs online.
- Linda Sokol Francis Brookfield Library, 3541 Park Ave., presents Chair Yoga, a virtual program on May 26 at 11 a.m. Join Brian Michalski for “Atypical Globetrotting,” an in-person presentation about his 22-month backpacking journey in Australia, Southeast Asia, India, Cuba and more on May 26 at 7 p.m. or Read to the Dogs with the Hinsdale Humane Society on May 31 at 7 p.m. Call 708-485-6917 or visit online to register for programs.
- Riverside Public Library, 1 Burling Road, invites you to an All Ages Outdoor Storytime on May 27 at 10 a.m. Bring your blanket, listening ears and dancing feet and enjoy stories, songs and rhymes. There’s also Mindfulness Together meditation with Gina Barsotti on May 27 at noon and a Summer Reading Kickoff event with games, treats and fun on June 1 from 4 to 7 p.m. To register for programs visit online.
- The Brookfield Elks Lodge, 9022 31st St., hosts bingo the second Sunday of every month. Doors open at 1 p.m. and games start at 2 p.m. with cash payouts.