Meet author Caroline Woods
Join Riverside author Caroline Woods, who will talk about her new novel “The Lunar Housewife,” published this month by Doubleday, at the Riverside Public Library, 1 Burling Road, on June 28 at 7 p.m.
Woods will talk about her writing process and the research she did into the CIA and its connections to Cold War artists for her book, which the publisher describes as a “stylish and suspenseful historical page-turner following an up-and-coming journalist who stumbles onto a web of secrets at a popular new literary magazine,” a story inspired by a CIA intervention in Cold War American arts and letters.
Register to attend online.
If you’re interested in sustainable gardening practices, let Brookfield Zoo teach you how to reuse common household items and clothes to create innovative garden resources during “No Scrap Left Behind” in the Storytime Room of the Linda Sokol Francis Brookfield Library, 3541 Park Ave., on June 25 at 11 a.m.
Come for ideas on increasing sustainability through gardening activities that are low-cost and beneficial to you and your garden.
Summer outdoor concerts
North Riverside kicks off its summer concert series on June 23 at 7 p.m. at the gazebo behind the Village Commons, 2401 Desplaines Ave., with the Caribbean-inspired rock of Mr. Myers. Admission is free. Concessions available for purchase. Outside food/drink prohibited.
Brookfield continues its outdoor concert series on June 24 at 7 p.m. with Off the Charts, playing everything from AC/DC to Prince, pop rock to country. Concerts are free at the band shell in Kiwanis Park, at Arden and Brookfield avenues in Brookfield. Don’t forget your chairs, blankets and picnic items.
Tour Riverside’s south end
The Frederick Law Olmsted Society continues its seasonal walking tours of Riverside, highlighting the village’s design, history and architecture on June 26 from 2 to 4 p.m.
The tour will cover the area south of the railroad tracks and features Olmsted’s graceful landscape, grand Victorian homes, signature designs by Frank Lloyd Wright and even sleek modern architecture.
Tours are $20 per person ($15 for seniors 62+ and Olmsted Society members). Tour groups depart at 2 p.m. from the Riverside Train Depot (east side of platform) at 90 Bloomingbank Road.
Reservations required. Email email@example.com or call 708-447-7635 to make reservations. Payment is made via PayPal or credit card only at olmstedsociety.org.
‘The Martian’ at North Riverside Library
North Riverside Public Library, 2400 Desplaines Ave., continues its Monthly Movie Club series on June 28 at 2 p.m. with a screening of the 2015 film “The Martian,” starring Matt Damon.
Admission is free. Snacks provided. Register to attend by calling 708-447-0869, online or in person at the library.
- The Frederick Law Olmsted Society and village of Riverside will hold a Landscape Workday on June 25 from 9 a.m. to noon at Patriots Park, 576 W. Parkway Road. Come for as long as you like. Supervised children welcome. Bring work gloves and a water bottle. All other supplies and snacks provided. Look for the public works dump truck.
- The Riverside Farmers Market operates each Wednesday through Oct. 5 from 2:30 to 7 p.m. in Centennial Park, at Forest Avenue and Longcommon Road. The Brookfield Farmers Market returns every Saturday through Oct. 15 from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the parking lot of the Brookfield Village Hall, 8820 Brookfield Ave.
- Riverside Arts Center, 32 E. Quincy St., hosts two exhibitions through June 25. In the Freeark Gallery is “The Old Same Place,” a solo show by Joseph Noderer, while the FlexSpace Gallery hosts “Flock,” a site-specific installation by Catherine Schwalbe. Gallery hours are Thursday-Saturday from 1 to 5 p.m.
There’s also the photography exhibition, “Love You Bro” featuring the work of Stephanie Graham in the lobby of the Riverside Township Hall, 27 Riverside Road, Riverside, through June 30. Hours are Mon.-Thurs. 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Friday 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- North Riverside Public Library, 2400 Desplaines Ave., invites you to make an appointment to visit the Ancestry Help Desk on June 24 between 2 and 6 p.m. There’s also a Scrapbooking Drop-in on June 25 from 1 to 3 p.m. and in-person Chair Yoga on June 27 at 6:30 p.m. Register for programs online.
- Linda Sokol Francis Brookfield Library, 3541 Park Ave., presents Chair Yoga (virtual) on June 23 at 11 a.m.; Bingocize on June 24 and 27 at 10:30 a.m.; Make It: Red, White and Blue Fan Decorations on June 24 at 5 p.m.; and History of LGBTQ Activism with John D’Emilio on June 27 at 7 p.m. Call 708-485-6917 or visit online to register for programs.
- Riverside Public Library, 1 Burling Road, invites you to All Ages Outdoor Yoga Storytime at the library on June 24 at 10 a.m.; Mindfulness Together meditation on June 24 at noon; Legopalooza all day on June 25; Mini-Movers Storytime (ages 3+) on June 27 at 9:30 a.m.; and What’s New on the Internet for Genealogists? On June 28 at 7 p.m. To register for programs visit online.
- The Brookfield Elks Lodge, 9022 31st St., hosts bingo the second Sunday of every month. Doors open at 1 p.m. and games start at 2 p.m. with cash payouts.