Light it up with Cycle Brookfield
Cycle Brookfield invites you join their special twilight slow roll, Light Up the Night, on July 8.
Meet at Compassion Factory, 9210 Broadway Ave., at 8 p.m. Ride starts at 8:30 p.m. and will travel at a leisurely pace through Brookfield for 10 kilometers (6.2 miles). Prize for best light bike, so light up your bike and wear a helmet. Family friendly, all rider levels welcome.
For more, visit facebook.com/groups/cyclebrookfield.
New Sculpture Garden exhibition at RAC
Riverside Arts Center, 32 E. Quincy St., presents its latest exhibition “Endless,” featuring the work of Darrell Roberts, in the outdoor Sculpture Garden from July 10 through Oct. 29.
“Endless” brings together Roberts’ decades’ long explorations of material fascination with his delight in the complexity of how he might move his fellow human beings through a forever continuum of walking through a garden.
The jungle of his studio will be moved into the ever-changing environment of the outdoors and incorporate all that lives in those spaces. It’s the first large-scale outdoor installation of Roberts’ career.
There’s an opening reception on July 10 from 3 to 6 p.m. and an artist talk (in person and via Zoom) on Sept. 24 at 2 p.m.
Free. Gallery hours are Thursday through Saturday from 1 to 5 p.m. Visit riversideartscenter.com for more.
Classic rock, boy band tribute at Brookfield Zoo
Brookfield Zoo, 8400 31st St., continues its Twilight Tunes summer concert series this weekend with performances on July 8 and 9 from 6 to 9 p.m.
ARRA, one of Chicagoland’s favorite classic rock tribute bands will perform on July 8, serving up songs ranging from Bon Jovi to Journey. On July 9, the Boy Band Review will transport you back to the days when NSYNCH, Backstreet Boys and One Direction were all the rage.
Bands take the stage at 7 p.m. on the zoo’s East Mall. Twilight Tunes is a limited-capacity event and concert tickets (in addition to zoo general admission and parking) are required. Visit CZS.org/TwilightTunes to purchase concert tickets.
Video game tourney for teens
North Riverside Public Library, 2400 Desplaines Ave., invites kids in grades 6-12 to compete in a Video Game Tournament in the library’s Teen Spot on July 13 from 3 to 6 p.m.
There’s no cost to enter the tourney, and you’ll get to show you have what it takes to be the best at some popular video games.
Bizarre Illinois history
Riverside Public Library invites you to learn strange stories from the state’s past during “Bizarre History of Illinois” presented by Chad Lewis, a virtual program, on July 13 at 7 p.m.
The program showcases more than 100 bizarre newspaper stories from Illinois that haven’t been seen in over a century. An event URL will be sent after registering to attend. Register at riversidelibrary.org/events.
- The Riverside Farmers Market operates each Wednesday through Oct. 5 from 2:30 to 7 p.m. in Centennial Park, at Forest Avenue and Longcommon Road. The Brookfield Farmers Market returns every Saturday through Oct. 15 from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the parking lot of the Brookfield Village Hall, 8820 Brookfield Ave.
- North Riverside Public Library, 2400 Desplaines Ave., invites you to make an appointment to visit the Ancestry Help Desk on July 8 between 2 and 6 p.m. There’s also Crafternoons: Summer Pinwheel Wreath on July 9 at 1:30 p.m.; NRPL Book Club (hybrid) on July 12 at 6:45 p.m. discussing “The Lunar Housewife” by Caroline Woods; and Greed in the Gilded Age: The Brilliant Con of Cassie Chadwick (virtual) on July 13 at 7 p.m. Register for programs online.
- Linda Sokol Francis Brookfield Library, 3541 Park Ave., presents Chair Yoga (virtual) on July 7 at 11 a.m.; Fairy Garden Workshop (ages 4-12) on July 7 at 4 p.m.; Genealogy Club: Using Newspapers on July 12 at 4 p.m.; Film Discussion Series screening “Un Monde: Playground” (Belgium) on July 12 at 6:30 p.m.; and Family Pop Art Night on July 13 at 7 p.m. Call 708-485-6917 or visit online to register for programs.
- Riverside Public Library, 1 Burling Road, invites you to an All Ages Outdoor Yoga Storytime on July 8 at 10 a.m.; Mindfulness Together meditation with Gina Barsotti on July 8 at noon; Legopalooza on July 9 all day in the Program Room; and Mini-Movers Storytime (toddlers up to 3) on July 11 at 9:30 a.m. To register for programs visit online.
- The Brookfield Elks Lodge, 9022 31st St., hosts bingo the second Sunday of every month. Doors open at 1 p.m. and games start at 2 p.m. with cash payouts.