Classic cars at Riverside Cruise Night
Riverside Garage hosts its second Cruise Night of the summer in Riverside on July 21 from 6 to 9 p.m. on East Burlington Street, just east of Longcommon Road, in the village’s downtown.
Classic car owners who would like to show off their wheels do not need to sign up and will be admitted on a first come, first served basis. No awards will be given out. There will be live music and vendors, and there’s no admission fee to come and enjoy the car show.
Art exhibition at Riverside Town Hall
Riverside Arts Center presents an exhibition featuring the work of Madelyn Roldan and Oakley McCormack in the lobby of the Riverside Township Hall, 27 Riverside Road, through Sept. 29.
Their paintings, drawings and digital art ranges from whimsical to moody, colorful to dark and realistic to fantastical. Both are RBHS grads, local college art students and RAC gallery assistants.
Regular viewing hours are Monday-Thursday, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.; Friday 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Get ready to rock
There are more outdoor concerts on tap this week in North Riverside, Brookfield and at Brookfield Zoo
On July 21, North Riverside continues its Rockin’ in the Park series from 7 to 9 p.m. in the parking lot of the North Riverside Village Commons, 2401 Desplaines Ave. Rosie & the Rivets will pump out the retro sounds of the 1950s and early 1960s as you take in an Antique and Classic Car Show.
Free admission but no outside food/drink. Concessions available. Concert held inside if there’s rain.
On July 22 at the band shell at Kiwanis Park, Arden and Brookfield avenues in Brookfield, you can enjoy classic rock favorites of Bi-Polar Bear. Also free, and you are welcome to bring picnic items.
Brookfield Zoo, 8400 31st St., continues its Twilight Tunes series on July 22 with Chicago area faves 7th Heaven and on July 23 with country rockers Hillbilly Rockstarz.
Bands take the stage at 7 p.m. on the zoo’s East Mall. Twilight Tunes is a limited-capacity event and concert tickets (in addition to zoo general admission and parking) are required. Visit CZS.org/TwilightTunes to purchase concert tickets.
Join astronomy educator Michelle Nichols for an in-depth look at Mars during “Roving the Red Planet” on July 25 at 7 p.m. in the Meeting Room of the Linda Sokol Francis Brookfield Library, 3541 Park Ave.
We’ve been exploring Mars for decades and there are six U.S. spacecraft on or orbiting the planet right now. What have we learned? You’ll find out during this look at past, present and future exploration.
- The Frederick Law Olmsted Society and village of Riverside will hold a Landscape Workday on July 23 from 9 a.m. to noon at the Akenside/Longcommon Triangle. Come for as long as you like. Supervised children welcome. Bring work gloves and a water bottle. All other supplies and snacks provided. Look for the public works dump truck.
- Riverside Arts Center, 32 E. Quincy St., presents the RAC Members Exhibition in the Freeark gallery and the RAC Kids Show in the FlexSpace Gallery through July 30. There’s also “Endless,” featuring the work of Darrell Roberts, in the outdoor Sculpture Garden from July 10 through Oct. 29. Gallery hours are Thursday through Saturday from 1 to 5 p.m. Visit riversideartscenter.com for more.
- The Riverside Farmers Market operates each Wednesday through Oct. 5 from 2:30 to 7 p.m. in Centennial Park, at Forest Avenue and Longcommon Road. The Brookfield Farmers Market returns every Saturday through Oct. 15 from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the parking lot of the Brookfield Village Hall, 8820 Brookfield Ave.
- North Riverside Public Library, 2400 Desplaines Ave., invites you to make an appointment to visit the Ancestry Help Desk on July 22 between 2 and 6 p.m. There’s also a Scrapbooking Drop In on July 23 from 1 to 3 p.m.; Chair Yoga (in person) on July 25 at 6:30 p.m.; and Monthly Movie Club with screening of “Gaslight” starring Ingrid Berman and Charles Boyer on July 26 at 2 p.m. Register for programs at northriversidelibrary.org/events-new.
- Linda Sokol Francis Brookfield Library, 3541 Park Ave., presents Chair Yoga (virtual) on July 21 at 11 a.m.; Fairy Tale Storytime (ages 4-5) on July 21 at 10:30 a.m.; Take Charge of Your Health (seniors) on July 21 at 1 p.m.; Dave DiNaso’s Traveling World of Reptiles on July 23 at 10:30 a.m.; and Yoga Storytime (preschoolers) on July 22 at 1 p.m. Call 708-485-6917 or visit brookfield.evanced.info/signup to register for programs.
- Riverside Public Library, 1 Burling Road, invites you to Medicare Information Seminar in the Community Room on July 21 at 6:30 p.m.; All Ages Outdoor Storytime on July 22 at 10 a.m.; Mindfulness Together meditation with Gina Barsotti on July 22 at noon; and Mini-Movers Storytime (toddlers to age 3) on July 25 at 9:30 a.m.; and the All in the Family Genealogy Program on July 26 at 7 p.m. To register for programs visit riversidelibrary.org/events.
- The Brookfield Elks Lodge, 9022 31st St., hosts bingo the second Sunday of every month. Doors open at 1 p.m. and games start at 2 p.m. with cash payouts.