Slow roll with Cycle Brookfield
Cycle Brookfield invites you to hop on your bicycle – heck, bring the family – and join them on Sept. 2 for their First Friday Ride, a monthly slow roll where you can connect with other cycling enthusiasts and enjoy the Brookfield scenery as you wind through the village.
Participants are asked to meet at Compassion Factory Art Gallery and Studio, 9210 Broadway Ave. at 6 p.m. There are typically two courses you can choose to take, roughly three and six miles in length.
Zoo Run registration open
Whether you run like a cheetah or a tortoise, you’ll fit right in at the Brookfield Zoo Run, which takes place entirely within the zoological park at 8400 31st St. on the morning of Sept. 11.
There’s a chip-timed 5K run followed by a 1-mile Kids Dash. All proceeds from the event benefit the Chicago Zoological Society’s Animal Care and Conservation Fund, which supports education efforts at the zoo and around the world.
For more information, including pricing, and to register for the event visit CZS.org/ZooRun.
TWS stages ‘Brighton Beach Memoirs’
The Theatre of Western Springs, 4384 Hampton Ave., opens its 2022-23 season on Sept. 8 with Neil Simon’s semi-autobiographical comedy “Brighton Beach Memoirs.”
The Broadway hit follows Depression-era teenager Eugene Jerome as he pursues his dreams of becoming a successful comedy writer and deals with conflicts of his squabbling family.
There will be 10 performances through Sept. 18. For more info, show times and to purchase tickets, call the box office at 708-246-3380 or visit theatrewesternsprings.com.
- Riverside Arts Center, 32 E. Quincy St., presents “Endless,” featuring the work of Darrell Roberts, in the outdoor Sculpture Garden through Oct. 29. Gallery hours are Thursday through Saturday from 1 to 5 p.m. There’s also an exhibition featuring the work of Madelyn Roldan and Oakley McCormack in the lobby of the Riverside Township Hall, 27 Riverside Road, through Sept. 29. Regular viewing hours are Monday-Thursday, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.; Friday 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Visit riversideartscenter.com for more.
- The Riverside Farmers Market operates each Wednesday through Oct. 5 from 2:30 to 7 p.m. in Centennial Park, at Forest Avenue and Longcommon Road. The Brookfield Farmers Market returns every Saturday through Oct. 15 from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the parking lot of the Brookfield Village Hall, 8820 Brookfield Ave.
- North Riverside Public Library, 2400 Desplaines Ave., invites those in grades 6-12 to enjoy a film and snacks during Movies in the Teen Spot on Sept. 3 at 1 p.m. There’s also Silly Science (all ages) on Sept. 6 at 4 p.m. and Story Safari (kids with adult) on Sept. 7 at 10:30 a.m. Register for programs online.
- Linda Sokol Francis Brookfield Library, 3541 Park Ave., presents Chair Yoga (virtual) on Sept. 1 at 11 a.m., Legotastic Saturday in the Storytime Room from 10:30 a.m. to noon on Sept. 3, Maker Studio 101 (adult services) on Sept. at 7 p.m. and Chair Zumba in the Meeting Room on Sept. 7 at 1:30 p.m. Call 708-485-6917 or visit online register for programs.
- Riverside Public Library, 1 Burling Road, presents a Saturday Sensory Storytime for kids in grades PreK-2 with caregiver on Sept. 3 at 10 a.m. in the Program Room and Composting 101, a virtual program featuring a master gardener from the University of Illinois Extension on Sept. 7 at 7 p.m. To register for programs, visit online.
- The Brookfield Elks Lodge, 9022 31st St., hosts bingo the second Sunday of every month. Doors open at 1 p.m. and games start at 2 p.m. with cash payouts.