Riverside police say two people were apprehended after bailing out of a stolen vehicle during a pursuit in central Riverside on Aug. 29 at about 6:15 p.m.

Stickney police initially radioed that they were pursuing a stolen vehicle, which was headed north in the 3400 block of Harlem Avenue and requested assistance from Riverside and other agencies.

Police attempted to curb the vehicle at Longcommon Road, but the driver swerved around them through a parking lot and then west on Berkeley Road and south on Byrd Road before heading west on Longcommon Road at what police termed an “excessive” rate of speed.

The driver and a passenger abandoned the still-running vehicle Delaplaine Road, where a police officer saw it “coasting” through Big Ball Park after it left the roadway. According to police, an officer ran after the vehicle and was able to bring it to a stop.

The passenger of the stolen vehicle surrendered to police, while the driver ran off and attempted to hide. Police located him in the backyard of a residence in the 200 block of Shenstone Road. Both were turned over to Stickney police. There was no further information on the identities of the alleged offenders or charges.

DUI crash in Brookfield

A 37-year-old Lyons man who reportedly walked away from the intersection of Prairie and Ogden Avenue after crashing his black 2007 Honda truck into a concrete trash can and signal post on the sidewalk on Aug. 22 at about 1:55 a.m. has been charged with drunken driving and leaving the scene of a crash, among other offenses.

When police arrived at the scene, they observed a vehicle crashed into the trash can and signal post in front of 8863 Ogden Ave., but the vehicle’s driver was not present. Witnesses identified the driver who reportedly walked away after the crash, and police took him into custody in the 4200 block of Prairie Avenue.

The driver reportedly admitted drinking at a Brookfield tavern before getting behind the wheel. Paramedics transported the man to LaGrange Hospital to treat non-life threatening injuries and due to his level of intoxication, according to police.

In addition to DUI and leaving the scene, police cited the driver for failure to reduce speed to avoid a crash, driving an uninsured vehicle and damage to village property. They also impounded the vehicle.

100 mph on Cermak

North Riverside police charged a 46-year-old Chicago man with driving under the influence of alcohol, aggravated speeding and reckless driving after an officer on patrol reported observing the man behind the wheel of a white Ford that was traveling at speeds up to 100 mph while eastbound on Cermak Road from the 8300 block.

Police said the vehicle passed others in a reckless fashion in a residential section of Cermak Road and finally braked hard and veered right when an officer caught up to him in the 7300 block of Cermak Road.

The driver reportedly failed field sobriety tests and the arresting officer reported that the driver’s breath smelled faintly of alcohol, but he denied drinking any alcohol. The driver also reportedly told police he was on his way home from Aurora and didn’t think he was driving too fast. He reportedly refused to submit to a breath test.

Theft from vehicle

A woman called North Riverside police on Aug. 22 to report that someone had removed the reflective glass portion of her vehicle’s passenger side mirror sometime that day between 9:30 a.m. and 5:30 p.m.

The vehicle was parked in the northeast corner of the upper parking deck outside Entrance 4 of the North Riverside Park Mall, 7501 Cermak Road, on the east side of the mall just north of J.C. Penney. 

The exterior of the mirror housing and the electrical connections to it were otherwise undamaged, indicating that someone was specifically looking to remove just the mirror itself.

WEDGE cops make drug, weapons arrest 

A North Riverside police officer and two Berwyn police officers on patrol as part of the West Suburban Enhanced Drug and Gang Enforcement (WEDGE) task force arrested La Salle resident David Intravaia, who was later charged with felony drug and weapons offenses, while on patrol in Berwyn on Aug. 26 around 3:40 p.m.

The officers reported observing Intravaia, who was a passenger in a Volkswagen SUV, hand over cash to another man in exchange for drugs in the 1800 block of Grove Avenue. When the SUV pulled away and disobeyed several stop signs, police say they stopped it at 18th Street and Maple Avenue. Inside the vehicle were Intravaia, a female driver and three young children.

Intravaia reportedly handed over an ounce of cannabis, which he said he just purchased for $90 from a friend. Police reported that Intravaia also possessed 12 Xanax pills and a loaded .45-caliber pistol.

He was charged with aggravated unlawful use of a weapon and possession of a controlled substance. As of Aug. 29, Intravaia remained in Cook County Jail with his bond set at $10,000. He was being held without bond for a separate, earlier offense in Chicago.

These items were obtained from police reports filed by the Riverside, North Riverside and Brookfield police departments, Aug. 22-29, and represent a portion of the incidents to which police responded. Unless otherwise indicated, anybody named in these reports has only been charged with a crime. These cases have not been adjudicated.

— Compiled by Bob Uphues