Tower lighting and costume parade
Riverside Parks and Recreation invites kids and their families to don their costumes and witness the water tower in Centennial Park, 10 Pine Ave. light up in Halloween splendor at 6 p.m. on Oct. 19.
Afterward participate in a costume parade around Centennial Park. No registration necessary.
Spooky sounds of yesteryear
Join radio historian and host of “Those Were the Days” Steve Darnall as he talks about radio’s best known mystery and horror programs during “Lights Out: Mystery and Horror During the Golden Age of Radio” in the meeting room of the Linda Sokol Francis Brookfield Library, 3541 Park Ave., on Oct. 24 at 7 p.m.
Hear how the shows became a theater of the mind, with music, voices and sound effects to create frightening “pictures.” Register to attend by calling 708-485-6917 or visiting online.
Coffee Social for seniors
The Brookfield Aging Well Team and Brookfield Parks and Recreation invite local seniors to their October Coffee Social on Oct. 21 from 10 to 11:30 a.m. in the council chambers of the Brookfield Village Hall, 8820 Brookfield Ave.
Join Aging Well Team member Gia Marie Benline, who specializes in senior real estate, and learn how to declutter and get organized.
The event is free to attend. RSVP by calling 708-485-1474.
North Riverside hosts Holiday Bazaar
Get a jump on your holiday shopping on Oct. 23 from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. when North Riverside Parks and Rec hosts its annual Holiday Bazaar at the Village Commons, 2401 Desplaines Ave.
Local crafters and other vendors will be selling items that will help you get into the holiday spirit. Concessions will be available for purchase. Visit facebook.com/NRRecreatrion for more.
Ranked choice voting presentation
The League of Women Voters of the LaGrange Area will present an informational event on ranked choice voting on Oct. 20 from 7 to 9 p.m. at Imperial Oak Brewing, 9526 Ogden Ave. in Brookfield.
Learn about this method of voting, which allows people to rank candidates in order of preference, while sampling and ranking locally brewed beer paired with flights of cheddar cheese.
The cost to attended is $25 and it’s open to the public. Visit lagrangearealwv.org for more.
- The Frederick Law Olmsted Society and village of Riverside will hold a Landscape Workday on Oct. 22 from 9 a.m. to noon on Riverside Road (exact location TBD). Come for as long as you like. Supervised children welcome. Bring work gloves and a water bottle. All other supplies and snacks provided. Look for the public works dump truck.
- Brookfield Zoo, 8400 31st St., hosts its annual Boo! at the Zoo event on Oct. 22-23. The Halloween-themed event features photo opportunities throughout the park, a corn maze and giant inflatables. Kids receive a sweet treat as they exit. Regular zoo admission and parking rates apply. Visit CZS.org/booatthezoo for more.
- The Brookfield Chamber of Commerce continues its 60-to-Win raffle drawings every Thursday through Nov. 17 at 4:30 p.m. at Joe’s Saloon, 9220 47th St. in Brookfield. You can also watch a livestream on the Brookfield Chamber of Commerce Facebook page (facebook.com/BrookfieldIllinois).
- Riverside Arts Center, 32 E. Quincy St., presents “Semblance: Unfolded and Brought to Life,” by Chicago photographers Alice Hargrave and Barbara Diener in the Freeark Gallery and “Endless,” featuring the work of Darrell Roberts, in the outdoor Sculpture Garden through Oct. 29. Gallery hours are Thursday through Saturday from 1 to 5 p.m.
There’s also “The Art of Seeing,” featuring the work of Shilin Hora through Dec. 29 in the lobby of the Riverside Township Hall, 27 Riverside Road. Viewing hours are Monday-Thursday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Friday from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Visit riversideartscenter.com for more.
- North Riverside Public Library, 2400 Desplaines Ave., presents Crafterdarks: Jack o’ Lantern Boxes (child with adult) on Oct. 20 at 6 p.m., How to Read Tarot Cards on Oct. 21 at 7 p.m., Signing Storytime (children with adult) on Oct. 22 at 11:30 a.m., Morning Munchkin Stories with Ms. Karen on Oct. 24 at 10:30 a.m., Chair Yoga (in person) on Oct. 24 at 6:30 p.m., a Monthly Movie Club screening of the 1942 film “I Married a Witch” with Fredric March and Veronica Lake on Oct. 25 at 2 p.m. and Story Safari (kids with adult) on Oct. 26 at 10:30 a.m. Register for programs online.
- Linda Sokol Francis Brookfield Library, 3541 Park Ave., presents Chair Yoga (virtual) on Oct. 20 at 11 a.m., Halloween Headbands (grades 6-12) on Oct. 20 at 5 p.m., Yoga Storytime (ages 3-5) on Oct. 21 at 1 p.m., Spanish Storytime (ages 3-6) on Oct. 22 at 10:30 a.m., Read to the Dogs on Oct. 25 at 7 p.m. and Art Therapy for Seniors on Oct. 26 at 11 a.m. Call 708-485-6917 or visit online to register for programs.
- Riverside Public Library, 1 Burling Road, presents Friday Storytimes (all ages) Oct. 21 at 9:30 and 10:15 a.m., Legopalooza on Oct. 22 at from 10 a.m. to noon, Knitting, Crochet and Needlework Group (ages 13+)on Oct. 24 at 7 p.m. and All in the Family Genealogy on Oct. 25 at 7 p.m. To register for programs, visit online
- The Brookfield Elks Lodge, 9022 31st St., hosts bingo the second Sunday of every month. Doors open at 1 p.m. and games start at 2 p.m. with cash payouts.