St. Paul VI Virtual Turkey Shoot
The St. Paul VI Holy Name Society (formerly Mater Christi) hosts is annual virtual Turkey Shoot Basket Raffle and Split-the-Pot on Nov. 13 at 3 p.m. The group will raffle off 35 baskets, each containing a 14- to 16-pound turkey, pumpkin pie, kolacky, houska, rye bread, 5-pound canned ham, prasky, salami and a bag of assorted groceries. There will also be a split-the-pot with cash prizes.
Because there will be no physical gathering, raffle tickets must be purchased in advance. Entry forms and information on how to watch a livestream can be found at stpaulviparish.org.
The entry deadline is Nov. 11 at 6 p.m. Call Stephen at 708-602-1927 with any questions.
Film discussion: “Poppy Field”
Linda Sokol Francis Brookfield Library, 3541 Park Ave., invites you to attend a screening and discussion of the 2020 Romanian film “Poppy Field,” starring Conrad Mericoffer as Cristi, a young police officer struggling to keep his homosexuality a secret from the macho environment in which he works.
Film enthusiast Marty Blank hosts the screening in Meeting Room 1 on Nov. 8 at 6:30 p.m. Register to attend by calling 708-485-6917, ext. 130 or at brookfield.evanced.info/signup.
Nazareth Academy presents “Harvey”
Nazareth Academy, 1209 W. Ogden Ave. in LaGrange Park, presents “Harvey,” the Pulitzer Prize-winning play by Mary Chase about a man named Elwood P. Dowd and his companion, an imaginary 6-foot rabbit, illustrating the importance of friendship and loyalty.
Performances are Nov. 3, 4 and 5 at 6:30 p.m. in the Romano Family Theater. Tickets are $15 and can be purchased at nazarethacademy.com
RBHS seeks veterans
Riverside-Brookfield High School, 160 Ridgewood Road in Riverside, will host its annual Veterans Day program on Nov. 11 and seeks veterans who might be willing to volunteer their time from 8:30 to 10:30 a.m. to participate in a school-wide program.
The morning begins with a continental breakfast for veterans, followed by an all-school assembly and then classroom visits where veterans and students can interact during question-and-answer sessions.
Any interested veterans should contact Angelica Salto at 708-442-8303.
Youth Entrepreneur Market
Shop local and pick up some holiday gifts at the Brookfield Women’s Club Youth Entrepreneur Market on Nov. 6 from 2:30 to 5:30 p.m. at The Compassion Factory Art Gallery and Studio, 9210 Broadway Ave. in Brookfield.
The market features handmade arts and crafts sold by nearly 50 kids in grades 4 through 12 from Brookfield and surrounding communities. Bring cash and enjoy meeting the artists and exploring their work.
- The Chi Zeta Chapter of Phi Theta Kappa at Triton College is collecting comfort items for homeless veterans from through Nov. 18, Monday-Thursday, from 8 a.m.-6:30 p.m. and Friday, from 8 a.m.-3:30 p.m., in the Office of Student Life, Room B-240, on the Triton College campus, 2000 5th Ave. in River Grove. Items will be donated to the Hines VA Hospital. Individual or travel sizes of toiletry items are preferred.
- The Frederick Law Olmsted Society and village of Riverside will hold its final Landscape Workday of the season on Nov. 5 from 9 a.m. to noon at the Longcommon/Downing Triangle. Come for as long as you like. Supervised children welcome. Bring work gloves and a water bottle. All other supplies and snacks provided. Look for the public works dump truck.
- The Brookfield Chamber of Commerce continues its 60-to-Win raffle drawings every Thursday through Nov. 17 at 4:30 p.m. at Joe’s Saloon, 9220 47th St. in Brookfield. You can also watch a livestream on the Brookfield Chamber of Commerce Facebook page (facebook.com/BrookfieldIllinois).
- Riverside Arts Center presents “The Art of Seeing,” featuring the work of Shilin Hora through Dec. 29 in the lobby of the Riverside Township Hall, 27 Riverside Road. Viewing hours are Monday-Thursday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Friday from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Visit riversideartscenter.com for more.
- North Riverside Public Library, 2400 Desplaines Ave., presents Movies in the Teen Spot (grades 6-12) on Nov. 5 at 1 p.m., Morning Munchkin Stories with Ms. Karen (child with adult) on Nov. 7 at 10:30 a.m., Sensory Storytime (child with adult) on Nov. 7 at 1:30 p.m. and Story Safari (child with adult) on Nov. 9 at 10:30 a.m. Register for programs online.
- Linda Sokol Francis Brookfield Library, 3541 Park Ave., presents Chair Yoga (virtual) on Nov. 3 at 11 a.m., Maker Studio 101 on Nov. 5 at 3 p.m., Genealogy Club on Nov. 8 at 4 p.m. and a Medicare Information Seminar on Nov. 9 at 6:30 p.m. Call 708-485-6917 or visit online to register for programs.
- Riverside Public Library, 1 Burling Road, presents Friday Storytimes (all ages) on Nov. 4 at 9:30 and 10:15 a.m.; Saturday Sensory Storytime on Nov. 5 at 10 a.m.; Mini-Movers Storytimes on Nov. 7 at 9:30 a.m., 10:15 a.m. and 1:30 p.m.; and School’s Out Activity: Bingo on Nov. 8 at 2:30 p.m. To register for programs, visit online.
- The Brookfield Elks Lodge, 9022 31st St., hosts bingo the second Sunday of every month. Doors open at 1 p.m. and games start at 2 p.m. with cash payouts.