Pack the trailer at Riverside Foods
Riverside Foods, 48 E. Burlington St. in Riverside, hosts a Pack the Truck food drive through Dec. 18. Community members are being asked to fill a trailer with as many non-perishable items as possible. Those items will be donated to the Riverside Township Food Pantry for distribution to those in need in the immediate area.
For convenience, Riverside Foods has assembled pre-made grocery bags and will have deeply discounted cases of products that can be purchased to facilitate the food drive.
Holiday Family Pajama Extravaganza
Linda Sokol Francis Brookfield Library, 3541 Park Ave., hosts its annual Holiday Family Pajama Extravaganza throughout the library on Dec. 16 from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m.
Join library staff and enjoy stories, crafts, music and refreshments while celebrating the holiday season. Be sure to bring your wish list, because Santa will be making a visit.
The event is open to all ages with caregiver. Registration is required. Call 708-485-6917 or at brookfield.evanced.info/signup online.
LaGrange Area LWV spotlights SAFE-T Act
The League of Women Voters of the LaGrange Area will sponsor a presentation on the provisions of the SAFE-T Act recently signed into law by Gov. J.B. Pritzker. The program will be conducted via Zoom on Dec. 20 from 7 to 8:30 p.m.
Sarah Staudt, senior policy director for the Appleseed Center for Fair Courts, will be the main speaker. She has spent years developing the legislation and working with members of the Illinois House and Senate.
The presentation is open to the public. Register to obtain a link by visiting lagrangearealwv.org.
Radio Players’ annual Christmas show
The Riverside Township Radio Players will present their 24th annual Christmas performance by recreating two shows from Radio’s Golden Age on Dec. 16 at 7:30 p.m. in the auditorium of the Riverside Township Hall, 27 Riverside Road in Riverside.
The troupe will perform “Christmas Shopping 1954” from “The Jack Benny Program” and “Double Surprise” from the show “My Friend Irma.”
Admission is free and open to the public. Visit riversidetownshipradioplayers.com for more.
Wrap and Yap
Wonder when you’ll find the time to wrap all of those holiday presents? North Riverside Public Library, 2400 Desplaines Ave., has you covered.
Swing by the library and join your neighbors for a Wrap and Yap during one of two sessions on Dec. 17, from 10:30 a.m. to noon or 1:30 to 3:30 p.m. The library will provide the wrapping paper, scissors and tape.
Bring the kids, too. The children’s department will be showing a movie just for them. All children under 10 must be accompanied by an adult.
- Riverside Parks & Recreation invites kids to drop off a letter in Santa’s Mailbox, which is located near the water tower on Longcommon Road, by Dec. 20 and, as long as there’s a return address on your letter, you will receive a special note back from Santa.
- Brookfield Zoo hosts its 41st Annual Holiday Magic festival of lights on the following dates: Dec. 14-18 and 26-31 from 3 to 9 p.m. Regular zoo admission and parking apply (advance reservation required for South Gate entry). Visit CZS.org/HolidayMagic for more info.
- Chef Shangri-La, 7930 26th St. in North Riverside, hosts live entertainment on Fridays and Saturdays at 7 p.m. featuring performers impersonating rock ‘n’ roll’s classic stars. This weekend’s tributes are Rod Stewart on Dec. 16 and Hugo’s Elvis on Dec. 17. Santa makes a visit on Dec. 18 from 4 to 6 p.m.
- North Riverside Park Mall, 7501 Cermak Road, invites kids to visit Santa in his workshop located in the mall’s center court daily through Dec. 24. Visit northriversideparkmall.com/santa-photos for details.
- Riverside Arts Center, 32 E. Quincy St. presents “Plot Structure,” featuring paintings by Matthew Girson; “Continue a Poem,” a group show featuring the work of Nicholas Frank, Lauren Fueyo and Nyeema Morgan; and “Dwell,” an installation of sculptures by Margie Glass Sula, through Dec. 30. Gallery hours are Thursday-Saturday from 1 to 5 p.m.
There’s also “The Art of Seeing,” featuring botanical boxes by Shilin Hora, at the Riverside Town Hall, 27 Riverside Road, through Dec. 31. Viewing hours are Monday-Thursday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Friday from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Visit riversideartscenter.com for more.
- North Riverside Public Library, 2400 Desplaines Ave., presents After School Art Escape (child with adult) on Dec. 15 at 4 p.m., Crafterdarks: Boho Winter Wreath on Dec. 15 at 6 p.m., a Club de Lectura discussion of “Deliria” by Laura Restrepo on Dec. 16 at 4 p.m., Morning Munchkin Stories with Ms. Karen (child with adult) on Dec. 19 at 10:30 a.m., Stretching and Meditation (in person) on Dec. 19 at 6:30 p.m. and Story Safari (child with adult) on Dec. 21 at 10:30 a.m. Register for programs online at northriversidelibrary.org/events-new.
- Linda Sokol Francis Brookfield Library, 3541 Park Ave., presents Chair Yoga (virtual) on Dec. 15 at 11 a.m., Yoga Storytime (ages 3-5) on Dec. 16 at 1 p.m., Ornament Extravaganza in the Maker Studio on Dec. 17 at 3 p.m. or 4:30 p.m., a Movies with Marty screening of “A Midnight Clear” on Dec. 17 at 1 p.m., Chair Zumba on Dec. 19 at 2 p.m. and Winter Solstice Family Night on Dec. 21 at 7 p.m. Call 708-485-6917 or visit online at brookfield.evanced.info/signup to register for programs.
- Riverside Public Library, 1 Burling Road, presents a Chess Meet Up for kids in grades K-8 on Dec. 15 at 4 p.m.; Friday Storytimes (all ages) on Dec. 16 at 9:30 and 10:45 a.m., Mindfulness Together meditation with Gina Barsotti on Dec. 16 at 11 a.m. and Science Saturday: Light Up Cards on Dec. 17 at 10 a.m. To register for programs, visit online at riversidelibrary.org/events.
- The Brookfield Elks Lodge, 9022 31st St., hosts bingo the second Sunday of every month. Doors open at 1 p.m. and games start at 2 p.m. with cash payouts.