Valentine Senior Social
There’s still time to reserve a spot at the Valentine Senior Social, sponsored by the Brookfield Chamber of Commerce and hosted by the Brookfield Recreation Department in the lower-level recreation hall at the Brookfield Village Hall, 8820 Brookfield Ave. on Feb. 12 from 1 to 3 p.m.
In addition to food and fun, live music will come courtesy of the Saddle Shoe Sisters.
The event is limited to 100 attendees and the RSVP deadline is Feb. 8 or when registration fills up. Call Hitzeman Funeral Home at 708-485-2000 or email email@example.com.
Movie Night and Pizza Party
Riverside Parks & Recreation hosts a Movie Night and Pizza Party for kids ages 4 to 9 on Feb. 10 from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. at the rec headquarters at 43 E. Quincy St.
It’s a perfect chance for parents to go on a dinner date while rec staff watch, feed and entertain the kids.
The cost is $17 ($22 non-resident) per child. Register to attend by visiting riverside.il.us/549/Parks-Recreation. Call 708-442-7025 with questions.
Artist talk at RAC
Riverside Arts Center, 32 E. Quincy St., invites the public to an artist talk on Feb. 11 at 2 p.m. with Margie Glass Sula, whose installation “Dwell” remains on display in the Outdoor Sculpture Garden through the end of the month.
According to Joanne Aono, who curated the exhibition, “As the leaves fall from the trees and the cold of winter draws near, we often think of staying inside, with little interest in nature’s hibernations. Glass Sula’s installation beckons one to notice the interplay between space, form, the environment and nature, and to ‘stay awhile.’”
Gallery hours are Thursday-Saturday from 1 to 5 p.m.
Film Discussion Series continues
Join film enthusiast Marty Blank and other movie buffs during the next Film Discussion Series event on Feb. 14 at 6:30 p.m. in Meeting Room 1 of the Linda Sokol Francis Brookfield Library 3541 Park Ave.
Blank will screen and lead a discussion of the 1976 Brazilian comedy “Dona Flor and Her Two Husbands” starring Sonia Braga, Mauro Mendonca and Jose Wilker and based on the novel by Jorge Amado.
Register to attend by calling 708-485-6917 or visit online at brookfield.evanced.info/signup.
Virtual Author Visit
The Riverside and North Riverside public libraries invite children (with adult) to join them in person or at home for a special virtual author visit from writer Shannon Hale and illustrator LeUyen Pham on Feb. 11 at 3 p.m.
Hale and Pham will talk about their graphic novels, including “Best Friends,” “Real Friends” and “Friends Forever,” answer your questions and share an engaging activity. Registration is required by visiting riversidelibrary.org/events or northriversidelibrary.org/events-new.
- Riverside Arts Center, 32 E. Quincy St., hosts Creativity Fest every Saturday in February from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., featuring creative projects, activities and workshops for all ages Suggested donation of $10 per person each day at the door. Visit riversideartscenter.com for more.
- Tickets for Reading Between the Wines 2023, a fundraiser for the Riverside Public Library, 1 Burling Road, to be held Feb. 25 from 6:30 to 9 p.m. are now on sale. Tickets are $35 per person or $50, which includes the wine tasting and a breakout port tasting (limited to 20 people). Get tickets by clicking the link at riversidelibrary.org.
- Riverside Arts Center, 32 E. Quincy St., presents artist Bobbi Meier’s show “Imperfect Rituals” through Feb. 18. Gallery hours are Thursday-Saturday from 1 to 5 p.m.
There’s also “Mujer Quetzalcoatl” featuring the work of Alex Velazquez Brightbill, through March 30 in the lobby of the Riverside Township Hall, 27 Riverside Road in Riverside. Viewing hours are Monday-Thursday from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. and Friday from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- North Riverside Public Library, 2400 Desplaines Ave., presents Android Basics on Feb. 9 at 2 p.m., After School Art Escape (child with adult) on Feb. 9 at 4 p.m., Calming Craft for Kids (child with adult) on Feb. 10 at 4 p.m., Crafternoons: Date Arrow Ideas on Feb. 11 at 1:30 p.m., Make Your Own Zine (grades 6-12) on Feb. 11 at1:30 p.m., Morning Munchkin Stories with Miss Karen on Feb. 13 at 10:30 a.m., Medicare 101 (bilingual) on Feb. 13 at 4 p.m., Story Safari (child with adult) on Feb. 15 at 10:30 a.m. and Tai Chi Lessons on Feb. 15 at 2:30 p.m. Register for programs online.
- Linda Sokol Francis Brookfield Library, 3541 Park Ave., presents Fairytale Storytime on Feb. 9 at 10:30 a.m., The Real Cost of College on Feb. 9 at 7 p.m., Chair Zumba on Feb. 10 at 1:30 p.m., Maker Studio 101 on Feb. 11 at 3 p.m., Chair Yoga (virtual) on Feb. 13 at 11 a.m., How to Create an Interior Design Color Scheme on Feb. 13 at 7 p.m., Storytime Stars (ages 2-3 with caregiver) on Feb. 14 at 10:30 a.m. and Valentine’s Day Open Crafting on Feb. 14 from 6 to 8 p.m. Call 708-485-6917 or visit online to register for programs.
- Riverside Public Library, 1 Burling Road, presents Drop-In Tech Help on Feb. 9 from 2 to 3 p.m., Friday Storytimes (all ages) on Feb. 10 at 9:30 and 10:15 a.m., Mindfulness Together meditation on Feb. 10at 11 a.m., Family Playtime in the Program Room on Feb. 11 from 10 a.m. to noon, Mini-Movers Storytime (3-under with caregiver) on Feb. 13 at 9:30 and 10:15 a.m., Knitting, Crochet and Needlework Group on Feb. 13 at 7 p.m. and Little Hands Activity Time (best for ages 1-4) on Feb. 14 at 9:30 a.m. To register for programs, visit online.
- The Brookfield Elks Lodge, 9022 31st St., hosts bingo the second Sunday of every month. Doors open at 1 p.m. and games start at 2 p.m. with cash payouts.