A Lyons Township High School student was reportedly injured and taken to the hospital by an ambulance after being attacked on May 1 just outside the school’s North Campus.

That evening’s school board meeting, where newly elected school board members were scheduled to be sworn into office, was cancelled in response to the incident so school’s administrators could focus on the incident and the injured student.

The current condition of the student, and the hospital to which the student has been taken has not been released.

Reached on May 5, LaGrange Police Chief Robert Wardlaw declined to provide any details about the incident or about the condition of the victim.

“Currently all available staff are committed to concluding the current ongoing investigation of a juvenile incident involving multiple juveniles,” said Wardlaw. “Due to the ongoing investigation, as well as the incident involving multiple juveniles, I’m precluded on what information can be divulged at this time.”  

The injured student was apparently targeted, according to a statement posted on the school’s website and apparently emailed to LTHS families.

“The LaGrange Police Department has emphasized that this appears to have been a targeted incident and that there are no additional security concerns related to this situation,” said the statement by Superintendent Brian Waterman and Principal Jen Tyrrell sent on May 2. “We understand that there are questions that we are unable to answer at this time due to the ongoing investigation. Please know we will share more information when it is available and that we are extremely grateful to be part of such a caring community.”

The statement gave very basic details about the incident, which happened at about 4:10 p.m. outside Exit 7. No weapons were involved, according to the statement.

The student, the statement said, was “currently receiving medical treatment and we are in contact with the family as we support them during this difficult time.”

It is not clear if the injured student is still hospitalized. LTHS declined to further comment on the incident when asked for more details.

“This is an ongoing investigation and we are unable to provide any additional details at this time,” said LTHS spokeswoman Mary Lin Muscolino in an email sent to the Landmark on May 3.

A parent of a Lyons Township High School junior told the Landmark that there was an extra police presence at North Campus on May 2.

This story has been updated to include a statement from LaGrange Police Chief Robert Wardlaw.