How to become a U.S. citizen
Maria del Carmen Rodriguez, community relations officer for U.S. Citizen and Immigration Services Chicago District 34, will give an overview of the eligibility and qualification requirements for obtaining U.S. citizenship during “Naturalization 101: Becoming a U.S. Citizen” on June 22 at 6 p.m. in the Meeting Room of the Linda Sokol Francis Brookfield Library, 3541 Park Ave.
The bilingual event will also provide an explanation of the naturalization process and the English language and civics examinations. Register to attend by calling 708-485-6917 or online.
Concerts in the park
North Riverside Parks & Rec kicks off its summer concert series on June 22 with Final Say, which plays top 40 hits to classics, from 7 to 9 p.m. in Commons Park, 2401 Desplaines Ave.
Bring chairs, blankets and friends to the free concert. No outside food/drink allowed. Concessions available for purchase. Concerts held indoors in case of inclement weather.
Brookfield continues its Summer Concert Series on June 23 at 7 p.m. Head to the bandshell in Kiwanis Park, Arden and Brookfield avenues in Brookfield, to catch the rock/pop of Key Suspects. Bring your coolers, blankets and chairs.
Riverside Chess Club seeks players
The Riverside Chess Club invites players of all skills and ages to meet up for casual games weekly at the Riverside Public Library, 1 Burling Road.
The club meets on Mondays from 5 to 7 p.m. and is open to anyone. Don’t have your own board? No problem.
For more info email TheRiversideChessClub@gmail.com or visit facebook.com/TheRiversideChessClub.
Walking tour of Riverside
The Frederick Law Olmsted Society continues its walking tours of Riverside on June 25. The tour will cover the area south of the railroad tracks. Tickets are $20 ($15 for seniors 62+ and Olmsted Society members).
Tour groups depart at 2 p.m. from the Riverside Train Depot (east side of platform) at 90 Bloomingbank Road. Register in advance (PayPal or credit card) at olmstedsociety.org. Cash/checks also accepted. Customized tours available by appointment.
Email email@example.com or call 708-447-7635.
- Aging Care Connections, 111 W. Harris Ave. in LaGrange, presents Pride Café, a monthly in-person and virtual program providing space for LGBT+ seniors who are interested in age-related or LGBT+ related topics, discussion and social opportunities, on June 24 at 11 a.m. This month’s topic is “Stonewall Forever: History of Pride.” Contact Hanah Sebek at 708-603-2270 or firstname.lastname@example.org to get the Zoom link or with questions.
- The Frederick Law Olmsted Society and village of Riverside will hold a Landscape Workday on June 24 from 9 a.m. to noon at Big Ball Park (Longcommon and Delaplaine). Come for as long as you like. Supervised children welcome. Bring work gloves and a water bottle. All other supplies and snacks provided. Look for the public works dump truck.
- The Riverside Farmers Market operates each Wednesday through Oct. 4 from 2:30 to 7 p.m. in Centennial Park, at Forest Avenue and Longcommon Road. The Brookfield Farmers Market returns every Saturday through Oct. 14 from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the parking lot of the Brookfield Village Hall, 8820 Brookfield Ave.
- Riverside Arts Center, 32 E. Quincy St., hosts “Introspective Dream Assembly,” paintings and mixed-media art by Ryan Burns and Ari Norris, and “Reflection of a Community as It Is,” large-scale drawings by Jesse Howard, through June 24. Gallery hours are Thurs.-Sat. 1-5 p.m.
There’s also “Everything Fades,” featuring the paintings of Natalie Shugailo at the Riverside Township Hall, 27 Riverside Road in Riverside through June 30. The township hall is open Monday-Thursday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Friday from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Visit riversideartscenter.com for more.
- North Riverside Public Library, 2400 Desplaines Ave., presents Art Adventures (ages 2+ w/adult) on June 22 from 2-4 p.m., Lego Club (8-under) on June 23 at 4 p.m., Light-Up Canvas Painting (grades 6-12) on June 24 at 1:30 p.m., Big and Little Storytime (children w/adult) on June 26 at 10:30 a.m., Science Explorers (8-under) on June 26 at 4:30 p.m., Koko’s Film Club screening of “Jaws” on June 27 at 2 p.m. and Safari ABCs (child w/adult, every other week in Spanish) on June 28 at 10:30 a.m. Register for programs online.
- Linda Sokol Francis Brookfield Library, 3541 Park Ave., presents Fairytale Storytime (all ages w/caregiver) on June 22 at 10:30 a.m., Craft Craze: Marble Painting (grades 1-5) on June 22 at 4 p.m., Chair Zumba on June 23 at 1:30 p.m.; Live on the Plaza! The Art of Inflation: A Balloon Show on June 24 at 11 a.m., Chair Yoga (virtual) on June 26 at 11 a.m., Chicago’s Lost Restaurants on June 26 at 7 p.m. and Stories Galore (all ages) on June 28 at 10:30 a.m. Call 708-485-6917 or visit online to register for programs.
- Riverside Public Library, 1 Burling Road, presents Mindful Chair Yoga on June 22 at 11 a.m., Gardening on the Up & Up on June 22 at 2 p.m., Boost Your Brain and Memory on June 22 at 6 p.m., Friday Outdoor Storytime on June 23 at 10 a.m., Mindfulness Together meditation on June 23 at 11 a.m., Legopalooza on June 24 at 10 a.m., Little Hands Activity Time on June 27 at 10 a.m. and Bingo (all ages) on June 28 at 11 a.m. To register for programs, visit online.
- The Brookfield Elks Lodge, 9022 31st St., hosts bingo the second Sunday of every month. Doors open at 1 p.m. and games start at 2 p.m. with cash payouts.