Cash taken in grocery store break-in

A man wearing a mask and black gloves broke into Riverside Foods, 48 E. Burlington St., about 9:25 p.m. on Nov. 11 and made off with about $17,000 in cash, police reported on Monday.

The burglary was reported on the morning of Nov. 12 when an employee noticed an inside door ajar and all of the cash drawers in the office emptied of large bills. Exterior security cameras had been pointed toward the sky just prior to the break-in, said police, and wires leading to the store’s alarm box had been cut.

An in-store camera showed a lone man wearing a light-colored hooded sweatshirt, a mask and black gloves coming into sight from the front door. The man used a crowbar to pry open the office door and exited through the front door less than two minutes after coming in.

Riverside police released a police report Monday detailing the theft of $100,000 in jewelry during a residential burglary that took place on Oct. 29.

The burglary happened between 1 and 7:15 p.m. on that date in the first block of East Burlington St. The back door to the home appeared to have been forced open by someone using a crowbar or large screwdriver, said police.

Many pieces of jewelry and an undisclosed amount of cash were taken from a bedroom, and a clock was taken from another area of the home.

A resident of the 4100 block of Raymond Avenue, Brookfield, reported that someone tried breaking into her home, removing the screen of a ground-floor window, sometime between 6 a.m. and 2 p.m. on Nov. 6. The screen on another window of the house was damaged as well. No entry was gained to the house.

On Nov. 9 a similar incident was reported by the owner of a home in the 3900 block of Oak Avenue, Brookfield. Between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m., someone ripped off the screen portion of a basement window. No one apparently entered the home, however.

The owner of a home in the 9400 block of Henrietta Avenue, Brookfield, reported on Nov. 9 that sometime during the previous week, someone had removed several auto parts from his garage. The parts were inside a blue plastic container.

According to the police report, the garage was unlocked.

Meanwhile on Nov. 10, Riverside police arrested a 24-year-old man and later charged him with criminal trespass to a residence and criminal damage to property after he entered a home in the 200 block of Southcote Road by allegedly kicking in a garage door.

Police responded to a call about a burglary in progress about 5 a.m. At the scene, police located Daniel D. Mega, of Riverside, inside the mudroom of the home. Mega reportedly was intoxicated and fought with police as they tried to arrest him. He reportedly told police he was breaking into his own home or a friend’s house.

North Riverside and Lyons police assisted in the arrest.

A resident of South Forbes Road in Riverside reported to police on Nov. 11 that between 1 and 3:30 p.m., someone had entered his unlocked home and removed a 47-inch LG TV from above the living room fireplace.

Put that thing away

North Riverside police gave a no-trespassing warning to a 21-year-old Maywood man who was reportedly waving a BB gun around and causing a disturbance inside Sports Authority, 1800 Harlem Ave.

Police found the man walking northbound from the store and detained him at gunpoint. An officer removed the BB gun, which reportedly looked like a 9 mm pistol, from the man’s waistband.

The man told police he took the gun to the store to try to get a refund. When the store declined, he reportedly began throwing BBs around the store and caused a loud disturbance. An employee declined to sign a criminal complaint, asking only that the man be given a warning to stay away from the store or be charged with trespassing.

Cops hurt during struggle

An 18-year-old Brookfield man was charged with felony battery after he fought with Brookfield police, breaking the leg of an officer in the process, during an incident on Nov. 7.

Police were initially called to the 4400 block of Prairie Avenue at 8:22 p.m. to break up a fight between several subjects. Police arrested Samir Jegic, who was reportedly intoxicated, and charged him with DUI and battery.

While at the police station, Jegic allegedly fought with police, injuring an officer in the process.

A 28-year-old companion of Jegic’s was charged with misdemeanor battery.

These items were obtained from police reports filed by the Riverside, North Riverside and Brookfield police departments, Oct. 29-Nov. 12, and represent a portion of the incidents to which police responded. Unless otherwise indicated, anybody named in these reports has only been charged with a crime. These cases have not been adjudicated.

-Compiled by Bob Uphues