It’s Mardi Gras!
Feb. 25 is Fat Tuesday and the congregation at Sts. Peter and Paul Lutheran Church, 250 Woodside Road in Riverside, are celebrating with a Mardi Gras and Talent Show Night.
Food (available for purchase) will be served from 6 to 7:45 p.m. followed by the talent show at 8 p.m. There will be a piñata for kids and entertainment will be provided by The Blue Ridge Strangers.
Buy tickets ($10 adults/$5 10 and under) in advance by contacting Ramona Suffern at 708-447-9084 or the church office at 708-442-5250 or by emailing to email@example.com. Tickets will also be available at the door.
The public is welcome to attend. Proceeds support summer youth service projects.
Garden Club hosts Seed Swap, guest speaker
The Brookfield Garden Club invites all to its Seed Swap and Guest Speaker event on Saturday, Feb. 25 at 9:30 .m. at the Brookfield Village Hall, 8820 Brookfield Ave.
The club will hold its general meeting, followed by a seed swap and a presentation by Carolyn Ulrich titled “Shade Can Be Stunning.” The club meets the last Saturday of the month January through October. More info? Call Annette at 708-207-3335 or visit brookfieldgardenclub.weebly.com.
Sokol hosts Paint Night
Unleash your inner artist at Sokol Spirit’s first-ever Paint Night in the lower hall of the Sokol building, 3909 Prairie Ave. in Brookfield on Friday, Feb. 24 at 7 p.m.
All ages are welcome. The event is BYOB and BYOS and the cost is $40 per person. The price includes paints, canvas, instruction from Becky Davis of RAD Canvas and a small donation to Sokol Spirit.
Reservations are required. Call Kathy Barcal at 708-485-3269.
Sports gear resale event
The Congress Park School Parent Teacher Organization will host a Sports Equipment Resale event on Saturday, Feb. 25 from 8 a.m. to noon in the gym at Congress Park School, 9311 Shields Ave. in Brookfield.
Sports and outdoor equipment – shoes, balls, sports gear, camping equipment, bicycles and more will be available for purchase. Cash sales only; no pre-sales or late discounts. Admission to the event is free.
Got stuff you want to sell? Email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Now hear this
The Riverside Township Radio Players present “Little Miss Marker” from The Damon Runyon Theater and “Seeing Ghosts” from My Friend Irma at their next performance on Friday, Feb. 24 at 7:30 p.m. in the auditorium of the Riverside Township Hall, 27 Riverside Road in Riverside.
Admission is free. For information visit www.riversidetownshipradioplayers.com or call Ellie Babka at 708-442-8810.
• The Scottish Home, 2800 Desplaines Ave. in North Riverside, invites the public to two events this week, which will be held in the Heritage Hall. The first is Integrating Aromatherapy in the ‘Vintage’ Population on Feb. 23 from 6 to 7 p.m. Then on Feb. 25 from 10 to 11:30 a.m. the Alzheimer’s Association presents Caregiver Stress relief, Acceptance and Empowerment. To RSVP call 708-447-5092.
• The Brookfield Chamber of Commerce will hosts Business After Hours on Feb. 23 at 5:30 p.m. at Cantata Adult Life Services, 8700 31st St. in Brookfield. Non-members welcome.
• Join radio historian and “Those Were the Days” host Steve Darnall for an audio-visual presentation on how radio changed the way America heard and sold music and the role it played in shaping “The Great American Songbook” in the Great Room of the Riverside Public Library, 1 Burling Road, on Wednesday, Feb. 22 at 7 p.m.
• The Brookfield Elks Lodge, 9022 31st St., hosts bingo every Monday night. Doors open at 5 p.m. and games start at 7 p.m. minimum cash payout of $2,275 a night, plus pull tabs, lightning, tic-tac and raffles.
• North Riverside Parks and Recreation hosts a supervised open gym for teens every Sunday from 6 to 8 p.m. at the Village Commons, 2401 Desplaines Ave. Concession available. $5 fee at the door.
• Riverside Arts Center, 32 E. Quincy St. in Riverside, presents the group exhibition, “A Certain Slant of Light,” through Feb. 25. Admission to the Freeark Gallery of Arts inside the RAC is free. Hours are Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday from 1 to 5 p.m. and Fridays from 1 to 4 p.m. Closed Sunday and Mondays. www.riversideartscenter.com.
• The village of North Riverside provides $6 haircuts for seniors at the Village Commons, 2401 Desplaines Ave. Open to residents and non-residents. Call the Recreation Department for details and appointments at 708-442-5515. Upcoming date Feb 27.
• Make your plans for St. Patrick’s Day parties now. North Riverside recreation is taking reservations now for their St. Patrick’s Day Luncheon and Blarney Bingo on March 16 at the North Riverside Village Commons, 2401 Desplaines Ave. at 12:30 p.m. Tickets are $14 ($16 non-residents). Call 708-442-5515.