The Brookfield Jazz Society celebrates its 12th anniversary on Thursday, March 23 with a performance by the Ava Logan Quartet in the lower-level Jazz Room of Sawa’s Old Warsaw Restaurant, 9200 W. Cermak Road in Broadview.
Doors open at 7 p.m. with music beginning at 7:15 p.m. sharp. There’s a minimum band donation of $10, and all are welcome to attend.
Who ya gonna call?
North Riverside Parks and Recreation invites the family to a screening of the 2016 supernatural comedy Ghostbusters as part of their Free Popcorn and a Movie series on Friday, March 24 at 1 p.m.
The PG-13 film stars Melissa McCarthy, Kristen Wiig, Kate McKinnon and Leslie Jones, who battle more than 1,000 ghosts that descend upon Times Square.
Admission and refreshments are free, but pre-registration is suggested by calling 708-442-5515.
Now hear this!
Take a trip back to radio’s golden age courtesy of the Riverside Township Radio Players on Friday, March 24 when they present “the Black Cat” from Candy Matson and “The Canterville Ghost” from Suspense. The performance begins at 7:30 p.m. in the auditorium of the Riverside Township Hall, 27 Riverside Road in Riverside. Admission is free.
For more information visit www.riversidetownshipradioplayers.com or call Ellie Babka at 708-442-8810.
Get down to business
Bring your lunch and learn valuable strategies to help your small business succeed at Operations Financials, which is part of the Brookfield Public Library’s Lunch and Learn series on Friday, March 24 at noon.
David Fadida, business analyst at Duman Entrepreneurship at JVS Chicago will discuss the nitty gritty of operations and financials for small businesses.
Register to attend online at www.brookfieldlibrary.info or by phone at 708-485-6917.
Baseball writer Jared Wyllys presents “Writing for Baseball and Cubs 2017 Preview” on Wednesday, March 29 at 6:30 p.m. at the North Riverside Public Library, 2400 Desplaines Ave.
The program is free. To sign up call 447-0869 or visit online at www.northriversidelibrary.org/events.
• Lyons Township High School girls badminton hosts an Orange Crush benefit on March 23 from 4 to 7 p.m. in the North campus Fieldhouse upper gyms, 100 S. Brainard Road in LaGrange. Those purchasing an Orange Crush T-shirt admitted free, otherwise $10 entry. Play badminton and enjoy music and refreshments. Proceeds benefit the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society.
• Hauser Junior High, 65 Woodside Road in Riverside, invites the public to its spring musical The King and I, on Wednesday, March 22 and Thursday, March 23 at 7 p.m. Admission is free and open to all.
• North Riverside Parks and Rec hosts an informational seminar “Keeping Your Feet Healthy” by Dr. Wajahat Akhtar from Alpha Pain and Wellness Center on March 23 at 2 p.m. in the council room of the North Riverside Village Commons, 2401 Desplaines Ave. Registration is required. Call 708-442-5515.
• The Scottish Home, 2800 Desplaines Ave. in North Riverside, presents a Hand Massage “Touch” Therapy Workshop in Heritage Hall. The cost is $55 and includes a workbook, certificate of completion and a gift of Essential Oil. To RSVP call 708-447-5092.
• Riverside Arts Center, 32 E. Quincy St. in Riverside, presents “What the Cool Pigeon Knows,” a solo exhibition of works by painter Kevin Blake in the RAC’s FlexSpace gallery and “Resist the Urge to Press Forward,” a two-person show of sculpture and installations by Brent Fogt and Stacia Yeapanis in the Freeark Gallery through April 15. Admission is free. Gallery hours T, W, Th, Sat from 1 to 5 p.m. and Fridays from 1 to 4 p.m.
• Brookfield Public Library, 3609 Grand Blvd., hosts an exhibit of artwork by local artist Brittany Hanks. The exhibit runs through April. The library will also host “How To: Download eBooks and Stream Movies” on March 23 at 2 p.m. Call 708-485-6917.
• North Riverside Library, 2400 Desplaines Ave., hosts Drop-in Open Play (ages 2 and up) on March 23 and 28 at 10:30 a.m. and Lego Club (1st grade+) March 22 at 3:30 p.m.
• Riverside Public Library, 1 Burling Road, will host “Tech to Go,” a hands-on demonstration on how to download movies, music and audiobooks onto your home computer and more on March 26 at 2 p.m. The library’s annual Magazine/CD/DVD Sale is underway. Buy a bundle of magazines for $1. DVDs are $1 each, and CDs are 25 cents each of six for $1.
• Friends of the Riverside Public Library, 1 Burling Road, are selling raffle tickets ($5 each or five for $20) as a fundraiser to support the library. Purchase a chance to win any of the five prize items, which are in display at the library. The prize drawing will be held April 9.
• The Brookfield Elks Lodge, 9022 31st St., hosts bingo every Monday night. Doors open at 5 p.m. and games start at 7 p.m. minimum cash payout of $2,275 a night, plus pull tabs, lightning, tic-tac and raffles.
• North Riverside Parks and Recreation hosts a supervised open gym for teens every Sunday from 6 to 8 p.m. at the Village Commons, 2401 Desplaines Ave. Concession available. $5 fee at the door.
• St. John United Church of Christ, 4500 Prescott Ave. in Lyons hosts Parents’ Night Out on March 25. Call 708-299-5031 for info.