Riverside Lawn: What’s going on?
Riverside Public Library and the Frederick Law Olmsted Society present “What’s Happening in Riverside Lawn,” with Robert Rose, executive director of the Cook County Land Bank, on Thursday, May 11 at 7 p.m. in the Great Room of the library, 1 Burling Road.
Rose will give an update on the Metropolitan Water Reclamation District’s project to buy Riverside Lawn homes in the floodplain and return the area to its natural state.
The Lyons Township High School Eurythmic Dance Company will perform “One,” the annual spring dance concert, May 11, 12 and 13 in the North Campus Reber Center, 100 S. Brainard Ave., LaGrange. The doors open at 6:40 p.m. and the show begins promptly at 7 p.m.
Tickets cost $10 in advance and $12 at the door; no discounts or activity passes are applicable. Tickets are available by contacting the Athletic Office at 708-579-6393.
North Riverside Firefighters Union Local 2714 invites the community to a Spaghetti Dinner on Saturday, May 13 from 4 to 8 p.m. at the Berwyn VFW Hall, 1529 S. Harlem Ave. in Berwyn.
Join local firefighters for an evening of authentic firehouse pasta, activities for families and kids and raffle prizes galore.
Tickets are $10 for adults and $8 for seniors and children under 12.
Start your engines
The Lyons Township High School Car Care club hosts its Spring Auto Show on Saturday, May 13 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the North Campus parking lot, 100 S. Brainard Ave. in LaGrange.
The show will feature vintage, classic and import vehicles, muscle cars, trucks and super sports cars. Admission is free for spectators. Auto owners who’d like to participate ($10 to register) can do so at www.lths.net/autoshow. Space is limited.
North Riverside Senior Fair
The village of North Riverside will host Senior Fair 2017 on Thursday, May 11 from 10 a.m. to noon at the Village Commons, 2401 Desplaines Ave.
Seniors and caregivers can receive information from more than 50 organizations, including home health agencies, health and medical specialists, insurance companies, legal agencies, housing agencies and more.
The Secretary of State will have its mobile unit on site between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. for driver’s license and state ID renewals, a free Rules of the Road class. There will also be hearing, cholesterol and glucose screenings for free.
Hotdogs served at 11:45 a.m. for no charge. Call 708-442-5515 for more information.
• The Aging Well Team of Brookfield presents “Understanding Senior Living Options” on May 15 from 1 to 2 p.m. in the lower level of the Brookfield Village Hall, 8820 Brookfield Ave. Free. Call 708-354-1323, ext. 242 for more info.
• Brookfield Public Library, 3609 Grand Blvd., continues its 2017 Brookfield Reads! Community-wide reading and book discussion initiative with “Improving Illinois: What You Need to Know about our Financial Crisis” on May 17 at 7 p.m. featuring journalist Madeline Doubek. More information at www.brookfieldlibrary.info/brookfieldreads.
• Brookfield Public Library, 3609 Grand Blvd., hosts an art exhibit featuring the work of Robin Monique Rios, Chicago native and founder and director of 4Art Inc., through June. For more information visit www.brookfieldlibrary.info.
• Riverside Arts Center, 32 E. Quincy St., hosts “AP Art 2017” the center’s eighth annual exhibition of work by Riverside-Brookfield High School art students thru May 13. Free and open to the public. Gallery hours Tues. – Sat., 1 to 5 p.m.
• North Riverside Library, 2400 Desplaines Ave., hosts a talk by MLB umpire, pilot and author Dick Cavenaugh on May 17 at 6:30 p.m. as part of Aging Well Month. Free. Sign up by calling 708-447-0869 or online at www.northriversidelibrary.org/events.
Also at the library, Messy Mornings for Munchkins (ages 2+) on May 14 at 10:30 a.m.; Lapsit Storytime (babies and toddlers) on May 11 at 10:30 a.m.; Lego Club (1st grade ) May 10 at 3:45 p.m.; After School Book Club (2nd grade ) on May 11 at 3:45 p.m.; Family Bingo and Loteria Familia (age 3 )on May 13 at 2 p.m.; Play Wii Games and Watch Movies (teens/tweens) May 13 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
• Riverside Public Library, 1 Burling Road, hosts a Medicare Information Seminar on May 11 at 6:30 p.m. in the Public Meeting Room. Learn about Medicare changes, how to select a supplemental plan and avoid mistakes.
• The Frederick Law Olmsted Society hosts a Landscape Workday on May 13 from 9 a.m. to noon at Harrington Park (Delaplaine and Robinson). Look for the Riverside Public Works truck. Supervised children welcome. Bring work gloves and water.
• Nazareth Academy, 1209 Ogden Ave. in LaGrange Park, hosts a Band Pops Concert on May 16 from 7 to 8 p.m. in the Romano Family Theatre. The Symphonic Band will play medleys from the major shows on the 2017 Broadway in Chicago calendar. The Jazz Ensemble also performs.
• The Brookfield Elks Lodge, 9022 31st St., hosts bingo every Monday night. Doors open at 5 p.m. and games start at 7 p.m. minimum cash payout of $2,275 a night, plus pull tabs, lightning, tic-tac and raffles.
• North Riverside Parks and Recreation hosts a supervised open gym for teens every Sunday from 6 to 8 p.m. at the Village Commons, 2401 Desplaines Ave. Concession available. $5 fee at the door.