LTHS presents ‘Game of Tiaras’
Lyons Township High School presents “Game of Tiaras” by Don Zolidis with performances Nov. 8 and 10 at 7 p.m. and Nov. 9 at 3:30pm in the South Campus Performing Arts Center, 4900 S. Willow Springs Rd., Western Springs.
The play, which parodies Disney, Shakespeare, and “Game of Thrones,” tells the story of all of our favorite princesses as they fight for their father’s love, and control of his kingdom.
Tickets are $10 for adults and $5 for children/senior citizens. LT students are $5 with school ID. Tickets may be purchased in the box office, which opens one hour before the show.
New show at Compassion Factory Gallery
Compassion Factory Art Gallery and Studio, 9210 Broadway Ave. in Brookfield, presents a new exhibit “In Our Family” featuring work in a variety of media, which were submitted for review during an open call last month. The theme of the show revolves around family – what it looks like and what it means to the artists.
The exhibit runs Nov. 8 through Dec. 1. Admission is free. Compassion Factory Gallery is open Thursdays from 4 to 9 p.m., Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. and first Fridays from 7 to 10 p.m.
Hauser Jr. High tackles Shakespeare
The public is invited to Hauser Junior High School’s production of William Shakespeare’s comedy “Much Ado About Nothing” on Nov. 12 and 13 at 7 p.m. in the auditorium of the school, 65 Woodside Road in Riverside.
Admission is free and open to the public.
Radio Goes to War
North Riverside Public Library, 2400 Desplaines Ave. presents “Radio Goes to War” on Wednesday, Nov. 14 at 2 p.m., with “Those Were The Days” radio host Steve Darnall giving an audio sampling of World War II news broadcasts, presidential speeches, shows to entertain the troops and more as they were brought into American homes in the 1940s.
• Free. To sign up, call 708-447-0869 or visit online at www.northriversidelibrary.org/events.
North Riverside Parks and Rec invites adults to a free screening of the 2017 film “Murder on the Orient Express” on Nov. 9 at 1 p.m. at the Village Commons, 2401 Desplaines Ave. Refreshments and popcorn are free.
Reserve a seat by calling 708-442-5515.
Calling all veterans
• Riverside-Brookfield High School will host a Veterans Day program on Friday, Nov. 9, with a school-wide assembly in the morning, followed by classroom visits by veterans, who will interact with students personally.
The high school invites all veterans who might wish to participate in the program, which begins at 8:30 a.m. with a continental breakfast and ends at 10:30 a.m. Call Erin Cunningham at 708-442-7500, ext. 2234 or Mary Ann Nardi at 708-442-8275.
• Hines VA Hospital, 5000 S. 5th Ave., in Hines, invites veterans their families and those wishing to honor veterans to a Veterans Day parade, ceremony, resource fair and celebration on Saturday, Nov. 10 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
• The village of Brookfield will re-dedicate its World War I memorial at a special Veterans Day Ceremony on Sunday, Nov. 11 at 11 a.m. at the Grossdale station, 8820½ Brookfield Ave. All are welcome.
• Sts. Peter and Paul Lutheran Church, 250 Woodside Road in Riverside, hosts “Enriching CommYOUnity,” a program for all ages sponsored by the Riverside and North Riverside Covenant of Churches on Nov. 8 at 6 p.m. Childcare provided. RSVP and more info at 708-442-5250 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Hitzeman Funeral Home, 9445 31st St. in Brookfield, will host the next of its monthly grief support gatherings on Nov. 13 from 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. The theme of the gathering will be “Coping with Grief During the Holidays.” Seats are limited. RSVP by Nov. 9 to email@example.com or call 708-485-2000.
• Through Nov. 9, Kuratko-Nosek Funeral Home, 2447 Desplaines Ave. in North Riverside, is taking part in the 11th Annual Operation Sweaters for Veterans by collecting new sweaters and gloves that will be delivered to local VA hospitals, VA homes and veterans service organizations. Drop off items at the funeral home between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m. daily during the drive.
• Riverside-Brookfield High School, 160 Ridgewood Road in Riverside, hosts Water Exercise Techniques (WET), an adult level fitness class on Wednesday nights from Nov. 7 through Dec. 19 at 7:30 p.m. No swimming involved. $36 for six classes. Email Noelle at firstname.lastname@example.org for info.
• Riverside Arts Center, 32 E. Quincy St., hosts the exhibit “25 Years of RAC School” in the FlexSpace gallery through Nov. 30 and “We Are Beasts” featuring the work of Sarah and Joseph Belknap in the outdoor sculpture garden through December. Gallery hours are Tuesday-Saturday from 1 to 5 p.m.
• The Brookfield Chamber of Commerce will hold will hold its next 60-to-Win prize drawing on Nov. 8 at 4:30 p.m. at Joe’s Saloon, 9220 47th St. in Brookfield. Winner need not be present.
• Brookfield Public Library, 3609 Grand Blvd., hosts Romance Readers Salon with Blythe Gifford on Nov. 13 at 7 p.m. and The Vietnam War with historian Jim Gibbons on Nov. 14 at 7 p.m. Register to attend at 708-485-6917, ext. 134 (for Romance Readers) or ext. 130 (for Vietnam) or online at www.brookfieldlibrary.info.
• Riverside Public Library, 1 Burling Road, presents author Cyndee Schaffer, author of the book “Mollie’s War,” discussing women in the military during World War II, especially her mother’s teas in Europe in the Women’s Army Corps on Nov. 14 at 7 p.m. in the Public Meeting Room.
• North Riverside Public Library, 2400 Desplaines Ave., hosts a Senior Drop-in on Nov. 9 from 10 a.m. to noon in the Meeting Room. Play cards and socialize every Friday. For adults, there’s Homemade Holidays: Craft a String Art Stocking Holder on Nov. 8 at 6 p.m. To register for programs call 708-447-0869 or visit www.northriversidelibrary.org/events.
For kids, there’s Lapsit Storytime (toddlers thru 5) on Nov. 8 at 10:30 a.m.; Tales and Treats (ages 2-5) on Nov. 10 at 10:30 a.m.; Messy Mornings for Munchkins (ages 2-5) on Nov. 13 at 10:30 a.m.; Bilingual Storytime (ages 2-5) on Nov. 14 at 10:30 a.m.; Bingo/Loteria (ages 3+) on Nov .9 at 4:30 p.m.; DIY Watercolors (teens/tweens) on Nov. 10 from 1 to 3 p.m.
• Westchester Community Church, 1840 Westchester Blvd., hosts Dueling Pianos Fundraiser on Nov. 9 from 7 to 10 p.m. $20 per person. 21 and over. BYOB and snacks. Split the pot, raffles. Call 708-865-1282 for more info.
• The Brookfield Elks Lodge, 9022 31st St., hosts bingo every Monday night. Doors open at 5 p.m. and games start at 7 p.m. minimum cash payout of $2,275 a night, plus pull tabs, lightning, tic-tac and raffles.