Brookfield Zoo Virtual Spring 5K
Brookfield Zoo is holding its first-ever Virtual Spring 5K Run/Walk through May 30. Choose your time and place – take a hike in a forest preserve, jog a waterfront trail or stroll through your neighborhood.
The cost is $30 per person. You’ll receive a beanie, numbered bib and completion certificate. Race entries benefit the Chicago Zoological Society Animal Care and Conservation Fund.
To register click here.
Go to war with the WACs
Brookfield Public Library invites you to discover the journeys that members of the Women’s Army Corps (WACs) took during World War II during the Zoom presentation “The Journey to Mollie’s War” on Thursday, May 13 at 7 p.m.
Cyndee Schaffer traces the footsteps of her mother, Mollie Weinstein Schaffer, and her fellow WACs when they served in Europe in 1944-45.
Register to attend and obtain Zoom access info by visiting the library’s online events calendar.
Experience live jazz, in person
Sts. Peter and Paul Lutheran Church, 250 Woodside Road in Riverside, invite you for an afternoon of live jazz featuring vocalist Terry Sullivan with Tom Muellner on piano and special guest Bill Overton on reeds on Sunday, May 16 at 4 p.m.
Tickets are $20 per person, cash only, at the door. CDC guidelines and expectations will be followed. Please wear a face covering. For more information, call 708-488-1701.
Riverside’s Jazz Age architecture
The Frederick Law Olmsted Society in partnership with Riverside Public Library presents “Jazz Age Modern: Riverside’s Art Deco and Art Moderne Houses” via Zoom on Tuesday, May 18 at 7 p.m.
Student researchers from the urban studies program at the University of Illinois at Chicago – Pauline Hong, Fotini Kaim and Marcus Levigne – will share their findings on the design and history of distinctive homes from the 1920s to the 1940s.
Visit the library’s online events calendar to register.
Drive-thru spaghetti dinner
Get your tickets now for Boy Scout Troop 111’s Drive-Thru Spaghetti Dinner, which will take place Saturday, May 22 from 4 to 7 p.m. at the Riverside Masonic Lodge, 40 Forest Ave., Riverside.
Tickets are $10 per person and include a dinner of spaghetti, sauce, Italian sausage, salad, bread and dessert. Online pre-orders at troop111-lgp.square.site accepted through Thursday, May 20. Drive-up orders also available on the day of the event. No in-person dining available.
- The Frederick Law Olmsted Society and village of Riverside will host their next Landscape Workday on Saturday, May 15 from 9 a.m. to noon at Indian Gardens (exact spot TBD). RSVP required at least 24 hours in advance by emailing to email@example.com or calling 708-447-0226. Wear a face covering and bring work gloves and a water bottle. All other supplies and snacks provided. Look for the public works dump truck.
- North Riverside Park Mall, 7501 Cermak Road, is looking for budding artists to decorate white paper parasols for their Umbrella Art Contest, which runs through the month of May. Open to all ages. Just pick up an umbrella at the mall’s Customer Service Center (M-Sat 11 a.m.-8 p.m. and Sun 11 a.m.-6 pm.), decorate it at home and return it by May 31. Gift card prizes for best entries.
- Riverside Arts Center, 34 E. Quincy St., presents the Riverside-Brookfield High School Advance Placement Art Exhibition through May 15 in the Freeark Gallery. The gallery is open by appointment by emailing to firstname.lastname@example.org. Gallery hours are Thursday-Saturday from 1 to 5 p.m.
- North Riverside Public Library, 2400 Desplaines Ave., offers a number of virtual programs through Facebook Live, conference calls and the teleconferencing app Zoom.
For adults, there’s Deeply Rooted Book Club on May 13 at 7:30 p.m. via Zoom. This month, the group will discuss “Eyes on the Prize, Episode 3: Ain’t Scared of Your Jails.” There’s also Stretching and Meditation on May 17 at 6:30 p.m. via conference call (800-747-5150, code 1453322) and a WITS Workout featuring brain health activities on May 18 at 11 a.m. via Zoom.
Register at the North Riverside library’s online events calendar for Zoom access.
For kids there’s ABCs and 123s (ages 3+) via Zoom on Mondays at 10:30 a.m.; Story Safari (ages 3+) via Zoom on Tuesdays at 10:30 a.m.; and Lego Builders Club (ages 5+) via Zoom on Thursdays at 4 p.m.
- Brookfield Public Library offers virtual classes and programs for patrons of all ages throughout the week. Most youth activities will be presented live on the library’s Facebook page. For adults, there’s also Chair Yoga via Zoom on May 13 at 11 a.m.
Call 708-485-6917, ext. 130 or visit the library’s online events calendar to register for Zoom programs.
- Riverside Public Library, 1 Burling Road, presents a Sunset Meditation with Gina Barsotti on May 13 at 6 p.m. via Zoom and Riverside Reads discussion of “The Sea” by John Banville outside at the library, weather permitting, on May 18 at 2:30 p.m. For more info visit the library’s online events calendar