RBHS theater presents the musical ‘Chicago’
The Riverside-Brookfield High School theater department presents its spring musical “Chicago” on March 3-6 in the auditorium of the high school, 160 Ridgewood Road in Riverside.
Student actors will be performing the high school edition of the hit musical, written by Bob Fosse and Fred Ebb with music by John Kander. Tickets at $15 for adults and $10 for students and senior citizens are available by cash or check at the door.
Performances are at 7:30 p.m. on March 3, 4 and 5 with a 2 p.m. matinee performance on Sunday, March 6.
Intro to Irish step dancing
Get your little one ready for St. Patrick’s Day by learning some basic Irish dance steps at “First Steps in Irish Dance” in the downstairs meeting room at the Linda Sokol Francis Brookfield Library, 3541 Park Ave., on March 9 at 10:30 a.m.
The program for kids ages 3-4 will be presented by Zoom by the Harling School of Irish Dance.
Register by calling 708-485-6917 or online.
Seed starting class/Community Seed Swap
Riverside Public Library in partnership with the Riverside Community Garden will host a Seed Starting class/Community Seed Swap event on Saturday, March 5 in the Community Room of the library, 1 Burling Road.
The Seed Starting class begins at 11 a.m. and will show you when, why and which seeds to start indoors or direct sow, when and how to harden off your plants for transplanting and more.
The Community Seed Swap starts immediately after the class at 12:30 p.m. and runs until 2 p.m. If you have spare seeds, bring them; if you need some, take them. For more info and to register for the Seed Starting class, visit online.
Band concert at Nazareth Academy
Nazareth Academy, 1209 Ogden Ave. in LaGrange Park, invites the public to the school’s Spring Band Concert on March 9 at 7 p.m. in the Romano Family Theater. The concert features performances of John Philip Sousa’s “The Thunderer” and Andrew Boysen’s “Symphony No. 4 for Winds and Percussion.”
LTHS Hall of Fame nominations
The Lyons Township High School Hall of Fame is seeking nominations of graduates and friends of the district who have accomplished great things. If you know someone worthy of induction, contact the 2022 Hall of Fame committee at 708-579-6483 for a nomination form.
Forms are also available in the main offices at both North and South campus and may be downloaded off the school website. Go to www.lths.net and click on Alumni. Self-nominations welcome. The nomination deadline is April 1.
American History and Today
The Linda Sokol Francis Brookfield Library kicks off the two-part series “American History and Today” by John LeGear on March 9 at 6:30 p.m.
The program, presented via Zoom, touches on significant events and pop culture milestone from 1914 to the present using photographs, documentary film footage, film clips and music. The three-hour program is split into two 90-minute segments. There will be a brief Q&A session after each segment.
Register online to attend.
- Riverside School District 96 hosts a virtual kindergarten information presentation on March 9, beginning at 5p.m. If your child will be 5 years old before Sept. 1 you are invited to visit their website at district96.org for details. Learn about the new full-day kindergarten program and take advantage of early registration.
- Throughout March, the Riverside Department of Parks and Recreation will be collecting pop-tabs outside its headquarters at 43 E. Quincy St. They will be donated to the Ronald McDonald House Charities. The box will be out front from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday.
The RMHC collects pop-tabs because they are clean, compact and easy to have the highest-grade aluminum in a can, giving pop-tabs the highest recycling value.
- AARP Tax Aid is back at Riverside Public Library, 1 Burling Road, and the Linda Sokol Francis Brookfield Library, 3541 Park Ave., to provide free tax assistance for those 60 and older. Volunteers will be at the Riverside Public Library on Wednesdays through April 6 and at the Linda Sokol Francis Brookfield Library on Fridays through April 8. You must register for appointments in person at the respective libraries.
- Riverside Arts Center, 32 E. Quincy St., presents “Unseen Things Are Still Here” featuring the work of Alexandra Antoine, J.B. Daniel, Kate Ingold, Esau McGhee and Elsa Munoz in the Freeark Gallery and outdoor Sculpture Garden through April 9. “The Bigger the Fear and Despair …” a two-person show featuring the work of Mayumi Lake and Stacia Yeapanis is in the FlexSpace Gallery through March 19. Proof of vaccine required. Hours are Thursday-Saturday from 1 to 5 p.m.
- North Riverside Public Library, 2400 Desplaines Ave., presents Stretching & Meditation via conference call (800-747-5150, code 1453322) on March 7 at 6:30 p.m.; Pajama Storytime for all ages via Zoom on March 7 at 6:30 p.m.; and Telephone Book Club via conference call (800-747-5150, code 1453322) discussing “I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings” by Maya Angelou on March 8 at 6:45 p.m.
Kids ages 4-up can participate in the programs Lapsit Storytime (Zoom only) on March 3 at 10:30 a.m.; After School Art Escape (in person or Zoom) on March 3 at 3:30 p.m.; Travel with Lester the Llama on (Zoom only) on March 5 at 10:30 a.m.; ABCs and 123s (Zoom only) on March 7 at 10:30 a.m.; and Story Safari (Zoom only) on March 9 at 10:30 a.m.
Register for programs at North Riverside library’s online events calendar.
- Linda Sokol Francis Brookfield Library, 3541 Park Ave., invites you to Chair Yoga via Zoom on March 3 at 11 a.m.; Family Craft: Painting with Fruit on in the Maker Studio on March 3 at 4 p.m.; An Unfinished Journey: African American Music in Its Pivotal Decades featuring stories and songs by Clarence Goodman (via Zoom) on March 7 at 6 p.m.; and join the Film Discussion Series on March 8 at 6:30 p.m. in Meeting Room 1 for a screening of the Irish film “Rose Plays Julie”
Visit Brookfield library’s online events calendar to register for programs.
- Riverside Public Library, 1 Burling Road, hosts Friday Storytime for all ages in the Program Room on March 4 at 10 a.m.; Friday Flix for teens on March 5 at 3:30 p.m.; First Saturday Storytime in the Program Room on March 5 at 10 a.m.; Mini-Movers Storytime on March 7 at 9:30 a.m. 11 a.m. and 1:30 p.m.; Preschool/Kindergarten Storytime on March 8 at 9:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m.; and After School DIY for teens on March 9 from 3:30 to 5 p.m. Visit online.
- Through March 25, the Lyons Township High School South Campus Fieldhouse indoor track, 4900 S. Willow Springs Road in Western Springs, will be open to the public from 6 to 7 a.m. on days LTHS is in session. There is no admission charge or fee to use the track. Please bring an ID and be prepared to sign in.
- The Brookfield Elks Lodge, 9022 31st St., hosts bingo the second Sunday of every month. Doors open at 1 p.m. and games start at 2 p.m. with cash payouts. The next date is March 13.