Brookfield Chamber hosts Street Dance
After a four-year hiatus, the Brookfield Chamber of Commerce welcomes back its annual Old-Fashioned Street Dance on June 10 from 5 to 11 p.m. in the 9200 block of Broadway Avenue.
Celebrate the start of summer while enjoying music, games, activities, food and beverages. There will be visits from Brookfield Zoo ambassador animals, face painting, magic shows, a balloon artist, dance lessons from Sway Dance Studio, live music from BOSCO and more.
Free and open to the public.
Community Health &Wellness Fair
Riverside Township’s Community Resource Center hosts a Community Health & Wellness Fair on June 10 from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the North Riverside Village Commons, 2401 Desplaines Ave.
Engage with community organizations and learn about health-related programs, resources and providers. All ages are welcome to this free event. Bring a non-perishable food item for the food pantry to be entered into a raffle.
Call 708-853-9578 or email firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
Riverside Ride is back
Hop on your mountain bike, tandem, chopper, unicycle, fixie or beachcomber and join Riverside Parks & Recreation for their annual Riverside Ride on June 10 at 7:15 a.m.
Meet up at the St. Mary School parking lot, 60 E. Burlington St., and join your neighbors for a relaxed ride through the village during this all-ages event. Free.
Fashion sale fundraiser
On June 9 and 10, a collection of fantastic fashion – hundreds of items of clothing, shoes and accessories – will be for sale at 181 Scottswood Road in Riverside.
Proceeds from the event will go to P.E.O. International, a nonprofit “helping women advance through education, while supporting and motivating them,” for women’s educational projects in honor of Joyce Van Cura.
The sale opens June 9 from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. and continues June 10 from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m., rain or shine.
Riverside Library Summer Reading kicks off
Riverside Public Library, 1 Burling Road, kicks off its Summer Reading Program with a party on June 9 from 1 to 4 p.m.
Get up close and personal with the animal ambassadors from Kim’s Cruisin’ Kritters and then from 2 to 4 p.m. grab a snack and sign up to commit to reading this summer.
RBHS tennis tourney fundraiser
The Riverside-Brookfield High School tennis team will host its annual tournament fundraiser, open to all members of the community, this summer with singles, mixed doubles and doubles tournaments, based on number of participants.
The cost to participate is $35 for singles and $30 for each doubles player (students 8-18 receive a discount) and all proceeds benefit the RBHS tennis program. The tourneys will be double elimination, guaranteeing everyone at least two matches. Prizes awarded to the top three places.
Doubles weekend is June 23-25, while singles weekend will be July 28-30 at the high school, 160 Ridgewood Road, Riverside.
- The Riverside Farmers Market operates each Wednesday through Oct. 4 from 2:30 to 7 p.m. in Centennial Park, at Forest Avenue and Longcommon Road. The Brookfield Farmers Market returns every Saturday through Oct. 14 from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the parking lot of the Brookfield Village Hall, 8820 Brookfield Ave.
- Riverside Arts Center, 32 E. Quincy St., hosts “Introspective Dream Assembly,” paintings and mixed-media art by Ryan Burns and Ari Norris, and “Reflection of a Community as It Is,” large-scale drawings by Jesse Howard, through June 24. Gallery hours are Thurs.-Sat. 1-5 p.m.
There’s also “Everything Fades,” featuring the paintings of Natalie Shugailo at the Riverside Township Hall, 27 Riverside Road in Riverside through June 30. The township hall is open Monday-Thursday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Friday from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Visit riversideartscenter.com for more.
- North Riverside Public Library, 2400 Desplaines Ave., presents Baby & Me (4-24 months w/adult) on June 9 at 10:30 a.m., Lego Club (8-under w/adult) on June 9 at 4 p.m., Perler Beads (grades 6-12) on June 10 at 1:30 p.m., Big and Little Storytime (children w/adult) on June 12 at 10:30 a.m., Stretching & Meditation on June 12 at 6 p.m., My First Storytime (4-24 months w/adult) on June 13 at 11 a.m. and Safari ABCs (child w/adult, every other week in Spanish) on June 14 at 10:30 a.m. Register for programs online.
- Linda Sokol Francis Brookfield Library, 3541 Park Ave., presents Fairytale Storytime (all ages w/caregiver) on June 8 at 10:30 a.m., Craft Craze (grades 1-5) on June 8 at 4 p.m., Genealogy Club: My DNA results are in! What do they mean? on June 9 at 4 p.m., Noche de Cine Español (Spanish Movie Night) on June 10 at 3 p.m., Chair Yoga (virtual) on June 12 at 11 a.m., Radio Goes to War with Steve Darnall on June 12 at 7 p.m. and Storytime Stars (ages 2-3 w/caregiver) on June 13 at 10:30 a.m. Call 708-485-6917 or visit online to register for programs.
- Riverside Public Library, 1 Burling Road, presents Mindful Chair Yoga on June 8 at 11 a.m., Boost Your Brain and Memory on June 8 at 6 p.m., Mindfulness Together meditation on June 9 at 11 a.m., Legopalooza on June 10 at 10 a.m., Storytime in the Community Garden (400 Nuttall Road) on June 13 at 9 a.m., Little Hands Activity Time on June 13 at 10 a.m. and Waltzing Australia with writer-photographer Cynthia Clampitt on June 14 at 7 p.m. To register for programs, visit online.
- The Brookfield Elks Lodge, 9022 31st St., hosts bingo the second Sunday of every month. Doors open at 1 p.m. and games start at 2 p.m. with cash payouts.