Riverside Cruise Night
Riverside Garage will host its final Cruise Night of the summer on Aug. 17 from 6 to 9 p.m. in downtown Riverside.
Swing by and wander through a fleet of classic cars, hot rods and custom vehicles around Centennial Park on Pine and East avenues. Free admission for spectators. Bring your cameras!
Anyone looking to display a vehicle can call Andy at 708-447-7221.
Friday night outdoor concerts
Riverside Parks & Rec invites the public to enjoy its final outdoor concert of the summer on Aug. 18 from 8 to 10 p.m.
Mosey on over to Big Ball Park, Longcommon and North Delaplaine roads, and catch local favorites The Redmonds and their eclectic mix of rock classics, Americana and originals. Bring a blanket, food and refreshments. Admission is free.
Brookfield Parks & Rec continues its Friday Night Concert Series on Aug. 18 at 7 p.m. with a performance by The Sumthins, who play a mix of classic and original rock ‘n’ roll.
The concert is at the band shell in Kiwanis Park, Arden and Brookfield avenues. Bring your coolers, blankets and chairs. Free.
Movie under the stars
Grab the kids and head on over to Ehlert Park, Elm and Congress Park avenues in Brookfield, on Aug. 19 for the village’s final Outdoor Movie Night of the summer.
This month, go to infinity and beyond while watching Pixar’s 2022 animated film “Lightyear,” with actor Chris Evans performing the voice of the iconic space ranger Buzz Lightyear.
Bring coolers and popcorn and grab a choice spot for the film, which begins at dusk. Activities start at 7 p.m.
Stop by the North Riverside Public Library, 2400 Desplaines Ave., and meet a variety of pythons from Ali’s Reptile Den during the next Reptile Roadshow on Aug. 17 from 4 to 5 p.m.
Learn fun facts about reptiles and the importance of preserving wildlife. For all ages with adult. Register at the Youth Service Help Desk, by calling 708-447-0869 or at northriversidelibrary.org/events.
Look out, it’s the Title Wave!
Come say hi and peruse the selections in the Linda Sokol Francis Brookfield Library’s traveling book bike, the Title Wave, during two local stops it’ll be making in the coming days.
Join them on Aug. 18 at 10:30 a.m. at the playground at Ehlert Park, Elm and Congress Park avenues, for a special storytime. Then on Aug. 19 from noon to 4 p.m., the book bike will be at the Brook Park School Block Party in the 1200 block of Raymond Avenue in LaGrange Park, where library staff will be offering crafts for kids 8-under, books for checkout and library card sign-up.
- Loca Mocha, 8858 Burlington Ave. in Brookfield (inside the Metra station), welcomes back troubadour Mark Dvorak to the Maria’s Morning Coffee House Series on Aug. 22 at 10 a.m. Free. Donations accepted, CDs and books available for purchase.
- The Frederick Law Olmsted Society and village of Riverside will hold a Landscape Workday on Aug. 19 from 9 a.m. to noon Akenside/Longcommon Triangle. Come for as long as you like. Supervised children welcome. Bring work gloves and a water bottle. All other supplies and snacks provided. Look for the public works dump truck.
- Riverside Arts Center, 32 E. Quincy St., presents “Summer, Joy and Harmony,” featuring paintings by Joe Fournier, at the Riverside Township Hall, 27 Riverside Road, through Sept. 29. Viewing hours are Monday-Thursday from 9 a.m.-4 p.m. and Friday from 9 a.m.-3 p.m.
- The Riverside Chess Club invites players of all skills and ages to meet for casual games at the Riverside Public Library, 1 Burling Road, on Mondays from 5 to 7 p.m. Open to anyone. For more info email TheRiversideChessClub@gmail.com or visit facebook.com/TheRiversideChessClub.
- The Riverside Farmers Market operates each Wednesday through Oct. 4 from 2:30 to 7 p.m. in Centennial Park, at Forest Avenue and Longcommon Road. The Brookfield Farmers Market returns every Saturday through Oct. 14 from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the parking lot of the Brookfield Village Hall, 8820 Brookfield Ave.
- North Riverside Public Library, 2400 Desplaines Ave., invites you to Baby & Me (ages 4-24 months w/adult) on Aug. 18 at 10:30 a.m., Lego Club on Aug. 18 at 4 p.m., a Videogame Tournament (grades 6-12) on Aug. 19 at 1:30 p.m., Big and Little Storytime (children w/adult) on Aug. 21 at 10:30 a.m., Science Explorers (all ages) on Aug. 21 at 4:30 p.m., My First Storytime (4-24 months w/ adult) on Aug. 22 at 11 a.m., a Koko’s Film Club screening of “Blue Bayou” on Aug. 22 at 2 p.m. and Safari ABCs (child w/adult, every other week in Spanish) on Aug. 23 at 10:30 a.m. Register for programs online.
- Linda Sokol Francis Brookfield Library, 3541 Park Ave., presentsa Dinosaur Dig (grades K-3) on Aug. 17 at 4 p.m., Chair Zumba on Aug. 18 at 1:30 p.m., a Movies with Marty celebration of Alfred Hitchcock’s birthday on Aug. 19 from 1 to 4 p.m., Chair Yoga (virtual) on Aug. 21 at 11 a.m., Cards & Coffee on Aug. 22 at 10:30 a.m. and STEAM for Teens: Lemon Volcano on Aug. 23 at 4 p.m. Call 708-485-6917 or visit online to register for programs.
- Riverside Public Library, 1 Burling Road, presents Mindful Chair Yoga on Aug. 17 at 11 a.m., Drop-In Tech Help on Aug. 17 from 2 to 3 p.m., Friday Outside Storytime on Aug. 18 at 10 a.m., Storytime at the Community Garden (400 Nuttall Road) on Aug. 22 at 9 a.m. and All in the Family Genealogy Club on Aug. 22 at 7 p.m. To register for programs, visit online.
- The Brookfield Elks Lodge, 9022 31st St., hosts bingo the second Sunday of every month. Doors open at 1 p.m. and games start at 2 p.m. with cash payouts.