LaGrange man creeps out woman, is arrested

Just hours after sending out a public safety alert about a man driving a convertible and asking an 18-year-old woman to pose in a bikini to help him sell cars, Brookfield police on May 10 arrested a 38-year-old LaGrange man and charged him with disorderly conduct.

Police had been investigating the claim, made by a Brookfield woman, since the evening of May 9. The woman told police she was walking in the 3400 block of Maple Avenue about 6 p.m. when she noticed an older red convertible with a white or cream-colored top. She continued to walk south on Maple Avenue to meet a friend, when the car pulled up and a man exited the vehicle.

The man reportedly approached her and asked if she’d be interested in helping him sell cars by posing in a bikini. The man asked the girl how old she was, asked her name and asked if she had a boyfriend.

Before the man walked away, the two shook hands although at no time did the man appear to try to pull her away. The man reportedly drove south and crossed the railroad tracks. Later, the girl and her boyfriend reported seeing the vehicle at Eight Corners.

Working with a partial license plate number, police were able to identify as a suspect a LaGrange man whose registered vehicle was a red 1992 Ford Mustang with a white convertible top.

The man reportedly admitted to being in the area of the incident on May 9 but denied talking with the woman. He couldn’t explain, however, why his vehicle, description, and plate number were singled out and why his photo was chosen out of a lineup by the woman.

Falling on mom

Riverside resident Robert Golba, 55, has been charged with one felony count of violating an order of protection, reportedly in a drunken stupor, after he allegedly fell on top of his 81-year-old mother during an argument, breaking her hip. Golba then promptly passed out, leaving his mother pinned beneath him. The incident reportedly happened on May 9 about 4 p.m., according to police.

Golba’s mother phoned a relative to come over and help her. The relative, who called police, reported that when he arrived, Golba and his mother were both on the floor with their legs intertwined.

Both were taken to the hospital for treatment. Golba reportedly was combative with police and hospital personnel and had to be restrained to his hospital bed. Police learned that Golba had an active order of protection against him, which explicitly prohibited him from being in his mother’s house while under the influence of any drug or alcohol.

On May 12, a Cook County judge set Golba’s bond at $50,000. As of Monday, he was being held at Cook County Jail. He had a preliminary hearing at the Maybrook courthouse on Tuesday.


A 20-year-old Brunswick, Ga. man was charged with one count of felony forgery after he allegedly attempted to buy an Apple iPad Mini with a phony traveler’s check on May 8 about 3:50 p.m. at Best Buy, 2358 Harlem Ave. in North Riverside.

According to police, 6-foot-1, 250-pound Gary L. Harrison was also dressed as a woman as he attempted to make the purchase. He was sporting a pair of leopard-print pants at the time of his arrest.

The Best Buy manager called police after an employee asked for assistance with the traveler’s check. The manager told police he immediately believed the check to be a fake, since it didn’t have a security thread. Police reported recovering nine more fake checks from Harrison, who said he got the checks from a friend whose name he did not know. Harrison reportedly said he did not know the checks were fraudulent.

As of Monday evening, Harrison was being held at Cook County Jail on $10,000 bond.

Garbage cans set ablaze

Brookfield police and fire personnel were called to Jaycee/Ehlert Park on two separate occasions, May 11 after midnight, because someone was lighting the park’s garbage cans on fire.

The first call came around 12:30 a.m., when firefighters extinguished fires in four garbage cans at the park. Then about 2:10 a.m., emergency personnel were back again to deal with another garbage can fire. Firefighters told police that an accelerant was likely used to start the fire.

A police officer stayed in the park afterward and confronted a 22-year-old Stickney man who appeared in the park 15 minutes after fire and police personnel left the scene. He was taken into custody but denied involvement in the fires. He was ticketed for being in the park after dark.

These items were obtained from police reports filed by the Riverside, North Riverside and Brookfield police departments, May 6-12, and represent a portion of the incidents to which police responded. Unless otherwise indicated, anybody named in these reports has only been charged with a crime. These cases have not been adjudicated.

4 replies on “Riverside, North Riverside and Brookfield police reports – May 6-12”