Long chase ends in jail

Two Chicago teenagers, one 17 and the other 14, were charged with various offenses Saturday after the 1999 Ford Taurus that one of the teens drove sped down an alley, crashed into a utility pole and downed some power lines at 8913 Grant St. in Brookfield on Saturday afternoon.

After crashing their car the two teenagers ran toward the Prairie Train Station.

They were walking eastbound on the north side of the train platform when a Brookfield police officer got out of his squad car and ordered the two to stop.

The teens turned and looked at the uniformed police officer and took off. They ran south across the train tracks and jumped the middle fence as a train was approaching and then ran south on Grove. They were next seen running through the forest preserve and wading across Salt Creek near Circle Drive in Lyons. They were finally caught by Lyons police on Southview, just west of Circle Drive. Their clothes were wet and had mud on them.

A witness who had seen the car speeding down the alley identified the 17-year-old as the driver. He told police he had lost a red sweatshirt by the train tracks, which Brookfield Police found and returned to him. The younger teenager had a noticeable limp. Both teenagers were taken to LaGrange Memorial Hospital.

After being released from the hospital, the older teen agreed to talk to police. He denied that he was driving. The police asked him about the smell of marijuana in the car and asked him if he had been smoking pot and he denied it. He then stopped answering questions and tried to go to sleep. The officer observed that his eyes were very glassy and he mumbled. The officer also reported the smell of burnt marijuana coming from him.

The 17-year-old was charged with failure to reduce speed, driving with no valid driver’s license, no proof of insurance, leaving the scene of a property damage accident, reckless driving and obstructing a police officer.

An assistant state’s attorney refused to approve felony charges, and he was given a court date of Nov. 13.

The 14-year-old refused to speak with police and was charged with one count of obstructing a police officer who gave a lawful order to stop for possible involvement in a crime. He was released to the custody of his mother.

Needed smokes

After midnight on Oct. 3, two young men broke into Riverside Wine and Spirits at 2720 S. Harlem Ave. They only took five packs of Newport cigarettes.

A rough night

James Gray, 45, of 6104 Lee Street in Downers Grove, was charged with disorderly conduct and criminal trespass to property after causing a disturbance at Brixie’s, late Saturday night.

Responding to a call, Brookfield police were told by Brixie’s employees that Gray had been causing problems at the bar and had been told to leave. After being dragged out of the bar by his cousin, Gray reportedly tried to re-enter the bar but was stopped by a Brixie’s employee. Allegedly, he then began to yell at Brixie’s patrons in the parking lot. One patron took offense at what was being said and reportedly slugged Gray in the face, knocking him down. The man who hit Gray left before police arrived and no one came forward to identify him.

Gray, who police described as highly intoxicated, was taken to Brookfield Police Department headquarters to be processed. While the complaint was being written up, Gray reportedly began to swear at police officers and kick the interview room door. He was then placed in a jail cell until he sobered up.

Bike, pole and flag stolen

Some time late Saturday night or early Sunday morning, an employee of Dunkin Donuts (9208 Ogden, Brookfield) had his bike stolen from where it was locked up outside the restaurant. The employee reported that a 30- to 35-year-old man, about 5-feet 7 and of thin build had loitered at the Dunkin Donuts for some time and looked at the bike frequently. When the employee left the restaurant, his bike, worth about $250, was gone.

On Oct. 1, someone stole the 15-foot metal pole that supports the “Now Open” sign for the restaurant. The “Now Open” flag was also missing.

Rudely awakened

A Brookfield homeowner was taking a nap on the afternoon of Oct. 1 when she heard a loud knock on the back door of her home in the 3600 block of Vernon. The homeowner went to the back door but did not see anyone. Then she heard someone knocking on the front door and, a moment later, glass shattering. She went the front door and saw a bald man, who appeared to be in his early 50s, reaching through the shattered window trying to unlock the dead bolt. The man told her his name was Joe Demotto and he was from Stickney and was looking for the previous owner of the house who owed him $10,000. Seeing that the previous owner no longer lived at the home, the man told the homeowner he was going to an ATM to get cash so he could make restitution for breaking her window. The man was not seen again. Stickney police were contacted but they said they have had no contact with anyone named Joe Demotto.

These items were obtained from police reports filed by the Riverside, North Riverside and Brookfield police departments, Oct. 1-7, and represent a portion of the incidents to which police responded. Unless otherwise indicated, anybody named in these reports has only been charged with a crime. These cases have not been adjudicated.

-Compiled by Bob Skolnik