A Chicago man with two prior drunken driving convictions faces felony DUI charges after he allegedly fled the scene of a crash he caused by blowing a red light at Harlem and Ogden avenues in Riverside on Nov. 13 at about 4:50 a.m.

Mario Arteaga, 29, was also charged with hit and run, driving without a license and numerous other traffic violations.

According to police, Arteaga was westbound on Ogden Avenue when he drove through a red light, struck a southbound 2015 Jeep and fled the scene. The victim, a 22-year-old South Haven, Michigan, woman, was not injured and followed Arteaga’s vehicle, calling 911 along the way. 

Police eventually apprehended Arteaga at the intersection of LaGrange Road and Cermak Road in Westchester. He was taken to Loyola University Medical Center but was released into police custody after reportedly refusing treatment and becoming combative with hospital staff.

Arteaga performed field sobriety tests about four hours after the crash, said police, and still failed them. Police said Arteaga’s driver’s license had been revoked for two prior DUI convictions, one of which was a felony.

Contractor scam

A man claiming to be a concrete contractor reportedly scammed a Brookfield couple out of $1,000 on Nov. 8, after getting them to pay him to do some repair work on the front steps of the home.

According to the police report, the couple and the con man never settled on a price before he began the work, which he reportedly finished within an hour. The con man, who reportedly went by the name “Rocky Miller,” told the couple the job cost $6,000, but he accepted $1,000 in cash before hurriedly leaving the scene.

According to police, the work completed on the stairs was shoddy. Illinois State Police informed Brookfield police that the man in question was a Chicagoan known as “Popsicle” who was known to be involved in similar incidents in the area.

Residential burglary

Brookfield police responded to the 9100 block of 31st St. on Nov. 12 at about 7:55 p.m. after a resident called to report that his apartment had been burglarized.

Police observed that the rear door to the apartment looked to have been kicked or shouldered open. A box containing $200 in cash was reported missing from the apartment.

The incident occurred sometime after 2 p.m. that day, according to the police report.

Two different tenants of an apartment building in the first block of Forest Avenue called police last week to report that their basement storage lockers had been burglarized.

Both incidents were reported on Nov. 9 and police reported that an entry door to the basement was not secure, allowing anyone to gain entrance to the area.

One victim reported that someone pulled nails out of the wood locker frame to gain entry and steal a Specialized Sirrus sport hybrid bicycle valued at $500. The other victim stated that someone ripped the lock off the storage locker door and removed an antique scooter and a bag containing about 60 prescription pills. 

A resident of the 100 block of Northwood Road, Riverside, called police on Nov. 12 to report that someone had stolen a Cannondale bicycle, valued at $1,100 from her garage.

According to police, the overhead garage door was left open, allowing access to the garage.

Vehicle break-ins

A resident of the 3100 block of Oak Avenue, Brookfield, called police to report that during the overnight hours of Nov. 10-11, someone stole a laptop computer, a Garmin GPS system and a broken Hamilton Beach coffee maker from the trunk of her vehicle, which was unlocked.

A 28-year-old Willow Springs woman called Riverside police on Nov. 11 at about 11:35 a.m. to report that someone tried to pop out the lock on the driver’s side door of her 2005 Ford Taurus, which she parked in the lot at the MacNeal Professional Building, 3722 Harlem Ave. at about 10:50 a.m.

No entry was gained to the vehicle and nothing was reported missing.

Wheels stolen from car

Brookfield police responded to the 4600 block of Custer Avenue on the morning of Nov. 11 after a resident called to report a 2016 Toyota Corolla, with missing wheels, perched atop four cinder blocks.

The owner of the vehicle said she parked the car on the street at about 9:30 p.m. the previous day. The car had 17-inch alloy rims. Lug nuts were lefts strewn around the vehicle. 

These items were obtained from police reports filed by the Riverside, North Riverside and Brookfield police departments, Nov. 6-Nov. 13, and represent a portion of the incidents to which police responded. Unless otherwise indicated, anybody named in these reports has only been charged with a crime. These cases have not been adjudicated.

—Compiled by Bob Uphues